Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Life » Off Topic

Old 25 Jan 2004, 22:45   #1
Chris
Mega Loafer

Default Uncle Chris' & Rob's Tech Support

OK,

To stop us from cluttering up Auntie Sin's page, if you ahve any techy problems stick them here and i will do my best!!!!!

Uncle Chris
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2004, 22:53   #2
DIZZY DRUMMER
Always Ready For A Bang

thanks chris

will be here quite a lot
DIZZY DRUMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2004, 22:54   #3
AndyK
Relentless

GREAT - Thanks Chris - I've been waiting for a thread like this.... our problem is as follows.....

The STCA subsystem only detects conflicts with relative bearings greater than 15 degrees on the horizontal axis, this is incorrect as it should detect them in the full 360 degree range, the types declared in the subsystem interface specifications are correct as degrees are in the range 0 to 359 and the 0 to 360 integer passed into the subsyetm from the multi-radar trackers is converted such that 360 degrees is cast to a 0 value as it should be.

Any ideas?

AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2004, 23:02   #4
Chris
Mega Loafer

To the best of my knowledge, STCA Sub-systems are the bits of air-traffic control setups which handle the Short Term Conflict Alerts.

If this is correct, then i am immediatly out of my depth.

If it were something as simple as C++ i would say that you are handling your type-casts wrong and need to check whether you are using signed or unsigned ints. However, i expect it is a bit more technical than that!!!!
Old 25 Jan 2004, 23:15   #5
AndyK
Relentless

You are indeed correct.

It is not however as "simple" (!!!!!!!!!!!) as C++, since it's a Cat 1 related system for Safety purposes, it's written in an accredited language ie Ada '83.

Thanks for trying anyway... actually that's not my problem anymore anyway, I'd ask about the stuff we're currently struggling with, but I'd have to have you shot afterwards, and that makes a mess

AndyK
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2004, 00:18   #6
black dog
Mega Loafer

Great idea Chris.

Your in luck. I've just had an email from the comp support man for work so hoping I've solved my email query. I'm really impressed I sent the email at 9.30 and he replied at 9.59 on a Sunday evening. The best bit is I'm not paying him, it's one of those queries we catch him with when he comes in the office.
black dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2004, 01:03   #7
sherrie87
Mega Loafer

I can vouch for Chris' troubleshooting skills- he got me into MLUKFC chat this very evening when all had seemed lost! He is clearly a techno god.

Sherrie
sherrie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2004, 03:36   #8
shadow1000001
Mega Loafer

This is a great idea Chris You will be seeing lots of me

Maria
shadow1000001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2004, 10:08   #9
dottie
queen post- whore extraordinaire

Brilliant Idea Chris - I'll certainly be one of your best customers
dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2004, 10:13   #10
Gez
Knicker thief

Excellent Chris, Right

How do you put pictures onto pages like this one???
Gez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2004, 14:17   #11
Chris
Mega Loafer

Right Gerry,

First step is to upload your pictures to some webspace. If you check with your internet service provider (ISP) you will probably find that they have provided you with some free space. If not try registering with a commercail provider such as Geocities who provide free space.

They will provide instructions on how to upload images.

You will then have an address which points to your picture. It is important to make sure the link goes straight to the picture not to the webpage it is on.

This address will look something like this:
http://mysite.freeserve.com/crblakey/22.jpg

Next, create your message on the forums and enter the IMAGE tag. This can be done by clicking once on the IMG button at the top of the reply screen.

This appears: [img]
Then type the full address of the picture you wanted:
[img]http://mysite.freeserve.com/crblakey/22.jpg

Then click agan on the button which now says IMG*.
This will appear [ /img ] (but without the spaces.

You should have a line int he middle of your message that resembles this but without any spaces in it.
[ i m g ]http://mysite.freeserve.com/crblakey/22.jpg[ / i m g ]

And hey presto, a picture should appear when you post the message!!!
Old 26 Jan 2004, 16:38   #12
Stephen
Rookie

I have a question...

Does anyone know if SpyFerret is any good as an ad remover piece of software? I have to buy it to actually remove the advert files but I'm not sure if I'll be wasting my money.

Have already tried Ad-Aware which hasn't as yet got rid of "i-lookup" which is hi-jacking my browser in a real bad way!!!

Stephen.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2004, 16:53   #13
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Default Re: Uncle Chris' Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
OK,

To stop us from cluttering up Auntie Sin's page, if you ahve any techy problems stick them here and i will do my best!!!!!

Uncle Chris
YES.

YES YES YES YES YES

Someone volenteered to do it.
Sorry Chris, you put your own name in the hat.I've got it in writting so you can't duck out now

Sticky status applied

Carry on Uncle Chris
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2004, 20:32   #14
Gez
Knicker thief

Cheers Chris,

I'll give it a wee go ....BUT......don't be surprised to hear from me again soon
Gez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2004, 22:05   #15
Chris
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I have a question...

Does anyone know if SpyFerret is any good as an ad remover piece of software? I have to buy it to actually remove the advert files but I'm not sure if I'll be wasting my money.

Have already tried Ad-Aware which hasn't as yet got rid of "i-lookup" which is hi-jacking my browser in a real bad way!!!

Stephen.
I would have to say do NOT purchase SpyFerret. OnlinePCFix who produce it are currently being sued over the product as it contains several sections which have been hacked from other programs.

The main program that it is based on is a free download located here. The program is called SpyBot and is one of the best programs you can use for this purpose.

Although no spy-ware removal program can be 100%, this one seems to do the best.

And yes it removes I-Lookup.

Also, when your system is clear, be careful of what you download and install. Especially programs such as Gator and the options you select in programs like RealPlayer and Quicktime so you don't enable any monitoring programs.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 22:49   #16
original sin
Sinner

AUNTY SIN'S DISCLAIMER

Aunty Sin would like to make it formally and publically know that there is not connection in anyway what so ever between her and Uncle Chris.
Any suggestion that there is a relationship due to the "Aunty & Uncle" prefix's is mere speulation and rumour
original sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2004, 01:02   #17
shadow1000001
Mega Loafer

Too funny Sin
shadow1000001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2004, 15:46   #18
Stephen
Rookie

Quote:
I would have to say do NOT purchase SpyFerret. OnlinePCFix who produce it are currently being sued over the product as it contains several sections which have been hacked from other programs.

The main program that it is based on is a free download located here. The program is called SpyBot and is one of the best programs you can use for this purpose.

Although no spy-ware removal program can be 100%, this one seems to do the best.

And yes it removes I-Lookup.

Also, when your system is clear, be careful of what you download and install. Especially programs such as Gator and the options you select in programs like RealPlayer and Quicktime so you don't enable any monitoring programs.
Well I'm glad I asked now - Thanks

I will go ahead with the SpyBot, as long as it gets rid of this God damn I-Lookup! I hate it

I try to keep an eye on what is downloaded to this computer but it's hard to keep an eye on 3 people who all download things

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Much appreciated

Stephen.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2004, 22:47   #19
Chris
Mega Loafer

OK, a few people seem to be having virus problems!!!

The main virus is w32.novarg.*

It is set to be active in launching denial of service attacks between 1st February - 12th February. As it is capable of scaning a hard drive and remailing itself, it is likely to circulate around a community like this one fairly quickly so everyone should ensure that their virus checkers are up to date and also, if poss, check that they are capble of blocking ths virus!!

A removal program has been developed by Symante and can be downloaded by clicking on this link.

If you do download this program, please ensure that you are disconnected from the internet and that all applications are closed before running it.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 22:57   #20
Deb
Mega Loafer

Quote:
OK, a few people seem to be having virus problems!!!

The main virus is w32.novarg.*

It is set to be active in launching denial of service attacks between 1st February - 12th February. As it is capable of scaning a hard drive and remailing itself, it is likely to circulate around a community like this one fairly quickly so everyone should ensure that their virus checkers are up to date and also, if poss, check that they are capble of blocking ths virus!!

A removal program has been developed by Symante and can be downloaded by clicking on this link.

If you do download this program, please ensure that you are disconnected from the internet and that all applications are closed before running it.
Thanx Chris. So If my norton is picking them up, does that mean I'm safe?

Deb
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2004, 23:01   #21
Chris
Mega Loafer

In all probability, yes.

I ahve scanned and none have managed to get through to my computer as thye have been filtered out by Hotmail and my Firewall (ZoneAlarm).

It is probably wise to ensure you run a full system sweep by Norton (or any virus protector) before Feb 1st.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 23:35   #22
Deb
Mega Loafer

Quote:
In all probability, yes.

I ahve scanned and none have managed to get through to my computer as thye have been filtered out by Hotmail and my Firewall (ZoneAlarm).

It is probably wise to ensure you run a full system sweep by Norton (or any virus protector) before Feb 1st.
Thanx again Chris
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2004, 19:52   #23
original sin
Sinner

OK Uncle Chris

As the world knows Auntie Sin is a techno thickie, and I'm not sure if I've been spun a load of rubbish today.

We are going to be using a management system that we access through a portal and web link - This is going to contain sensitive info.
I questioned secuity and was told that as it is entered through a "portal" it cannot be hacked as the computer gaining access needs to be configured.

My reply was that teenages computers aren't configured to NASA but the still get in!

So what does it mean?
What's it all about?
And WTF is a portal????

Sin
original sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2004, 21:22   #24
Chris
Mega Loafer

Sin

A portal is just that, a doorway from one computer to another. For example, the Yahoo homepage is a portal to the internet.

It is possibly to set computers up so that only machines running a certain program can access a link. I would assume that they will have considered all the security risks and worked to remove them before letting a system go live.

No system can be totally hacker proof, but they will have got it as near as possibly.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 21:23   #25
Chris
Mega Loafer

In reponse to the 3 PM's i have ahd today,

Yes, if ou have a computer problem you don't want to discuss on here as you are embarrassed it is a simple one, you can email/pm me.

I might post the answers (with no link to the questioner) here so that it benefits other people who might be having the same problem but too scared to ask!!