mlukfc.com Forums

mlukfc.com Forums (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Post your thoughts (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4661)

mszee 05 Aug 2008 22:46

I have a problem with British English...when people post...pished...just pished...I don't know if they are angry or drunk...LOL...

But then again...I am now learning Belfastian...and that is so much harder...

SamCat 05 Aug 2008 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by mszee (Post 426736)
I am pretty sure you were muttering something completely different...all I've heard from here was...Australia...LOL...but hey...it's all good...

Honestly hon we talked about your trip quite a bit. Whose coming, who cant make it, where we'll all gonna sleep and will those builders be finished in time lol!!

Pudding 05 Aug 2008 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by mszee (Post 426738)
I have a problem with British English

There isn't any British English, it's just English. Every other country comes up with a bast@rdized form of it, but it's still just English.

It's like there's only one Meat Loaf and then you have tribute acts doing a bast@rdized form of Meat Loaf, but there's still only one true Meat Loaf.

Pud :twisted:

mszee 06 Aug 2008 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pudding (Post 426762)
There isn't any British English, it's just English. Every other country comes up with a bast@rdized form of it, but it's still just English.

It's like there's only one Meat Loaf and then you have tribute acts doing a bast@rdized form of Meat Loaf, but there's still only one true Meat Loaf.

I have a problem with one and only English that is spoken only in England...I have even bigger problem with one and only English that is spoken only in Belfast...although I suspect that it's not so much one English but many slangs...

I salute you, professor Higgins!!!

mszee 06 Aug 2008 00:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamCat (Post 426749)
Honestly hon we talked about your trip quite a bit. Whose coming, who cant make it, where we'll all gonna sleep and will those builders be finished in time lol!!

Oh those builders...like I've said...if there is no room, I will try to get some people into hotel...nobody contacted me so far...so I dunno...although Animal and Bird assured me that they will have available rooms closer to December...I don't want you to be misplaced...although with this said...maybe I should send you to rest in that hotel room I am talking about...and suffer consequences...LOL...

~Helen~ 06 Aug 2008 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pudding (Post 426762)

I dunno...not technically, since American and UK English still differ quite a bit - sidewalk vs pavement. parking lot vs car park. trash vs rubbish. store vs shop. cookies vs biscuits. candy vs sweets. etc etc etc...

Deb 06 Aug 2008 00:12

lift and elevator. Arse and Ass :-P

Pudding 06 Aug 2008 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Helen~ (Post 426768)
I dunno...not technically, since American and UK English still differ quite a bit - sidewalk vs pavement. parking lot vs car park. trash vs rubbish. store vs shop. cookies vs biscuits. candy vs sweets. etc etc etc...

That would then be Americans bast@ardizing the English language. Since the English came up with the language first .

duke knooby 06 Aug 2008 00:17

is pished

mszee 06 Aug 2008 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Helen~ (Post 426768)

You've missed the point...apparently States are tribute act of Great Britain...hey..not our fault you've sent us all your rubbish...LOL...

mszee 06 Aug 2008 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pudding (Post 426771)
That would then be Americans bast@ardizing the English language. Since the English came up with the language first .

AND they brought here when they came from England...

~Helen~ 06 Aug 2008 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by mszee (Post 426773)
You've missed the point...apparently States are tribute act of Great Britain...hey..not our fault you've sent us all your rubbish...LOL...

tribute better then so we can stop being confused by each others versions of the same language then ;) x

and now I really am getting my ass/arse off to bed ;)

mszee 06 Aug 2008 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke knooby (Post 426772)
is pished

Here is an example for you...are you angry or drunk???

mszee 06 Aug 2008 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Helen~ (Post 426775)
tribute better then so we can stop being confused by each others versions of the same language then ;) x

and now I really am getting my ass/arse off to bed ;)

Good night, Helen...funny thing is...all I could understand here in America when I first came was Benny Hill...LOL...now I probably wouldn't understand him either...

~Helen~ 06 Aug 2008 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by mszee (Post 426778)
Good night, Helen...funny thing is...all I could understand here in America when I first came was Benny Hill...LOL...now I probably wouldn't understand him either...

after my (uk english) friend's attempts to ask an American in Seattle if they sold phone cards I'm not suprised...they had no idea what she was saying to them until she mimed what she wanted. In fact same holiday, a different friend found the hotel staff couldn't understand what she meant by 'butter'* until eventually she said 'baadder'. We got butter.

and goodnight :-) xx

* Edit: butter (for you Americans ;)) is buh-ter for us Mancs

mszee 06 Aug 2008 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Helen~ (Post 426780)
after my (uk english) friend's attempts to ask an American in Seattle if they sold phone cards I'm not suprised...they had no idea what she was saying to them until she mimed what she wanted. In fact same holiday, a different friend found the hotel staff couldn't understand what she meant by 'butter' until eventually she said 'baadder'. We got butter.

and goodnight :-) xx

Seattle ain't America...they wouldn't understand me either...they are very earnest...but very square and completely devoid of sense of humor...

mszee 06 Aug 2008 00:28

Geez...I just realized that I was getting lessons in English from Yorkshireman...LOL....

mszee 06 Aug 2008 00:53

Em, thank you very much for Scrabulous!!! Much appreciated since I was having a major withdrawal...LOL...

mszee 06 Aug 2008 00:54

Correction!!! Thank you Em, Chris and Michael!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!

SamCat 06 Aug 2008 00:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by mszee (Post 426789)
Correction!!! Thank you Em, Chris and Michael!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!

Shhh they dont know yet lol!!!

SW31 06 Aug 2008 01:06

opps ill have to check now

mszee 06 Aug 2008 01:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamCat (Post 426790)
Shhh they dont know yet lol!!!

Is it appropriate on a family forum to say that I am in love with you?

(I just looked at my title and decided that it's ok...AND...Claire is gone for 2 weeks...not that I don't miss her...but still...:oops:)

mszee 06 Aug 2008 01:10

Now I can't comment to Chris about checking things out...since I am no committed to the other side...LOL...

Darn...I either don't have any thoughts...or I have too many...scratch that...I don't really have any thoughts...

Betty 06 Aug 2008 01:10

Guess who´s back in Germany?
bloody awful flight that was :down:

Thank you hon for a great, great time! xxx :D

mszee 06 Aug 2008 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 426795)
Guess who´s back in Germany? ;)
bloody awful flight that was :down:

Thank you hon for a great, great time! xxx :D

Well, still you're safe and sound!!! Saw a lot of your pics and you look fabulous...can't wait to see you again!!!