mlukfc.com Forums

mlukfc.com Forums (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Post your thoughts (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4661)

duke knooby 02 Feb 2011 00:27

and how the hell is facebook valued? how does it generate revenue?

is there advertising on it?

samurai7 02 Feb 2011 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke knooby (Post 537702)
how does it generate revenue?

is there advertising on it?

yes.

CarylB 02 Feb 2011 00:37

There's plenty of advertising on it, yes! Four at least a page on the right hand size, about 25 on a linked page. They charge for "impressions" per thousand (ads being shown to users) or "clicks" (when a user visits the advertised site). It's huge business!!

Caryl

duke knooby 02 Feb 2011 00:45

good, it has a genuine revenue earner, though i'm still concerned as to the data aspect, is it true anything put on facebook cannot be erased... just hidden from view?

(and it is still valued suspiciously highly for just advertising)

CarylB 02 Feb 2011 02:46

You can delete stuff or pages, and you can delete your account altogether, although people seem to have problems with the latter, mainly because Facebook deactivate the account in question for two weeks, and permanently delete it ONLY if you do not use Facebook IN ANY WAY during that period. So checking to see if it's gone will count as use, as will any action on other Facebook pages, or logging into other services using Facebook Connect .. which imo is a bit sneaky!

As to its being erased or simply hidden from view .. on the internet I'm not sure if anything is permanently and completely erased, or still floating in the ether if you know how to find it. Someone more versed in the internet may know.

As to it's "value" .. its real value will only be tested if it's sold or floated; but I guess the recent value put on it is based on its potential (as are most valuations of companies) plus it's an implied value really, based on its phenomenal growth and the recent investments of some $500m in it.

Its potential for advertisers is huge because so many people put so much personal information on it, including their interests, likes, activities etc, Facebook can analyse that and target advertising, which makes it more of a winner for advertisers than almost any other site selling ads; a massive selling point. That alone must vastly increase its potential value. (And is why the ads appearing on mine are so random! :lol:)

Caryl

carole 02 Feb 2011 03:28

Yeah I've heard that anything put onto the internet is there somewhere forever. Even if deleted or erased someone with computer savvy can get it back.

Carole

AndyK 02 Feb 2011 10:45

Just because you've deleted a picture form your profile on facebook (for example) doesn't mean that the file is actually removed from their servers. All you've done is remove the link to the picture from the profile. Chances are that each individual picture is replicated over a nuber of storage devices on the facebook servers to proivde for failure, huigher speed access etc etc. And data will be backed up to tape, disc or offline discs to enable a restoration of service.

So facebook will have multiple copies of that one file that you've uploaded to it's servers. How many people have downloaded the picture that you've uploaded too? There could be copies anywhere ... I've seen photos I've taken (some of which were only ever shared briefly on this or other sites) appear on other peoples profiles for example.

The only true way to delete anything is to have it physically erased from the hard disc that it's stored on, and then to have that portion of the disc overwritten with random data a number of times (7 times is generally accepted as enough to ensure that the data is not accessible to anyone. The backup tapes, discs or offline storage arrays would need cleansing too, which is much more complex.

The same holds true with your hard drive on your PC at home or your memory stick or your memory card in your smart phone. Just because you've "deleted it" and then emptied your wastebasket, doesn't mean it's really gone. Give me 5 minutes and I could have it back again :twisted:

CarylB 02 Feb 2011 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyK (Post 537715)
Just because you've deleted a picture form your profile on facebook (for example) doesn't mean that the file is actually removed from their servers.

That's what I thought .. although neither speaking nor understanding the language I couldn't have expressed the thought in geek :lol:

Just highlights the reality of the net and Facebook, which so many seem completely oblivious to .. and the dangers!

And as well as people downloading anything you put on it, there are also these endless daft "quizzes", where people who don't know you from Adam, and wouldn't recognise you if you came up to them with a large club (which some deserve :lol:) "answer" questions about you from a position of utter ignorance, and this rubbish too sits forever on Facebook around its many pages. It won't surprise me in the least if on the anniversary of my daughter's death I get yet another notification of a quiz someone has completed on me which answers the question "Would Caryl Burton like to have children?" with "Yes". There's a lot about Facebook I find sits on a scale between daftly tacky to downright and thoughtlessly stupid.

Caryl

Evil One 02 Feb 2011 12:34

It seems I've aquired a lovely bios error that randomly shuts down my PC. :wall: The question is: do I replace the motherboard or the whole lot as there's a couple of things now concerning me about this setup? :confused: It would be nice to have a computer that lives longer than a couple of years. :roll:

daveake 02 Feb 2011 12:52

You mean a "blue screen of death"? Drop me a PM 'cos it might be software not hardware ...

Evil One 02 Feb 2011 12:55

No, not a blue screen. The whole thing either freezes and becomes totally unresponsive or it shuts down and I get the black screen with BIOS error at the top and lots of beeping! :shock:

daveake 02 Feb 2011 13:39

It's fecked then.

Can't remember ever seeing a BIOS message once Windoze has started.

You could try re-seating the memory.

Wario 02 Feb 2011 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil One (Post 537720)
No, not a blue screen. The whole thing either freezes and becomes totally unresponsive or it shuts down and I get the black screen with BIOS error at the top and lots of beeping! :shock:

That PC is pretty much crashed. sorry

Evil One 02 Feb 2011 13:55

I've already took it apart and had a fiddle :bleh: so it's time to start pricing up parts I suppose :boohoo:. If I disappear then you know it's all gone a bollock! :lol:

Wario 02 Feb 2011 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil One (Post 537723)
I've already took it apart and had a fiddle :bleh: so it's time to start pricing up parts I suppose :boohoo:. If I disappear then you know it's all gone a bollock! :lol:

oh hope you backed up your you-know-whats

Evil One 02 Feb 2011 14:19

Yes they're all safely stored away in my thingummy along with my wotsits.

AndyK 02 Feb 2011 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil One (Post 537725)
Yes they're all safely stored away in my thingummy along with my wotsits.

You don't want to do that, they'll get covered in a cheesy orange dust.

suzieq 02 Feb 2011 14:30

Happy Groundhog Day!

AndyK 02 Feb 2011 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieq (Post 537727)
Happy Groundhog Day!

If you make the same post at the same time tomorrow, then we'll know you're in trouble :))

melon 02 Feb 2011 15:37

Firstly, WHOOOO I figured out how to multi quote!

Quote:

Originally Posted by carole (Post 537698)
It's looking bad for far north Queensland at the moment. Cyclone is upgraded to a category 5 with winds of up to 300km/h expected to hit at around 10pm tonight. It will hit the area from Port Douglas to Townsville. Not sure how familiar you are with a map of Queensland but it is a huge area. They say up to 30 000 homes will be affected. Like they haven't been through enough with the recent floods, now this. My heart goes out to all of them.

Carole

Down to business, yeah they reckon it is big enough to cover most of the US and a majority of Asia, it is the worst in Aus in 100 years!

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke knooby (Post 537700)
is it true anything posted on facebook becomes the property of "facebook"

Yes it is, always be careful what you put there, what goes on the internet stays there forever!

melon 02 Feb 2011 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke knooby (Post 537705)
good, it has a genuine revenue earner, though i'm still concerned as to the data aspect, is it true anything put on facebook cannot be erased... just hidden from view?

(and it is still valued suspiciously highly for just advertising)

As I said in my last post, anything that goes on the internet stays there forever, even if you "delete" it. There are always ways of getting it.

duke knooby 03 Feb 2011 00:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil One (Post 537720)

ive had that on the corner art exhibit... it only became an art exhibit after the above ;)

MeatGrl1 03 Feb 2011 00:51

What a day, that was hard but needed to be done.. Why does crying take alot or most of your energy ?!

CarylB 03 Feb 2011 02:34

Sometimes what we feel as exhaustion is more the emotional catharis we achieve. Also crying is a non-violent means of discharging distress (in itself a physically tiring process),and (sometimes unknowingly) the distress of previous associated experiences. Psychologically we can as a result make clearer sense of issues, present and past, and that too can leave us tired although hopefully sometimes wiser; but it's a learning process which consumes effort.

Also puzzling is why men who would appear to be adults think that behaving like children is somehow intellectually smart and hugely amusing. But that's a whole other can of worms :lol:

Caryl

firefly 03 Feb 2011 18:39

Well thats my inducton course over with for today.... start work Saturday!!!