mlukfc.com Forums

mlukfc.com Forums (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Messages (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bat Out of Hell The Concert (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20401)

ajf33 04 Sep 2018 09:36

I did yesterday stumble across a comment from Paul on Facebook, that suggests the reason is the band has really only been known as the Neverland Express in Europe, and in the states it's always been the Neverland Band. Not sure if this is true or just to get round copyright issues, without saying there are copyright issues!

JennaG 04 Sep 2018 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG (Post 623051)
Such a shame .net never became a sort of historical hub that could have included all tour dates, photos from these concerts and setlists etc.

There is such a wealth of info that could have been collected into one place. Song lyrics. Info on each album: release dates, chart positions etc.

Instead all that information is spread across fan sites and they mostly will be gone in 10-15 years time I'm guessing.
It will only be Wikipedia and some YouTube videos from then on.

:(

It's a shame because I think there is a need for that kind of information but I notice a lot less fan sites being around these days than there were when I started tinkering with website design. I think social media has, to a degree, taken over but they're just not as set up for being a go-to reference point for the historical stuff.

CarylB 04 Sep 2018 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennaG (Post 623057)
It's a shame because I think there is a need for that kind of information but I notice a lot less fan sites being around these days than there were when I started tinkering with website design. I think social media has, to a degree, taken over but they're just not as set up for being a go-to reference point for the historical stuff.

Yes .. and websites cost to set up and need maintaining, while FB is free to anyone who wants to set up a fan group .. but these are woefully lacking in any way of providing access to any but immediate information.

Something else too imo is that sites run by "professional" companies like the ones Meat has used ever since the old ML OIFC just don't have the interest and commitment to provide any kind of historical and comprehensive resource .. they certainly haven't shown it in the case of those he's paid anyway :(

ajf33 04 Sep 2018 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajf33 (Post 623056)
I did yesterday stumble across a comment from Paul on Facebook, that suggests the reason is the band has really only been known as the Neverland Express in Europe, and in the states it's always been the Neverland Band. Not sure if this is true or just to get round copyright issues, without saying there are copyright issues!

Knew I wasn't imagining it, on the fb Paul Crook page, under a video promoting
one of the dates is the following exchange -

Robert Coop - Neverland band? What happened to the neverland express?
Paul Crook

Paul Crook Great question... People outside of the UK/ EU don't know the NEVERLAND EXPRESS so we use the NEVERLAND BAND for marketing here in the USA.

loaferman61 04 Sep 2018 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajf33 (Post 623056)
I did yesterday stumble across a comment from Paul on Facebook, that suggests the reason is the band has really only been known as the Neverland Express in Europe, and in the states it's always been the Neverland Band. Not sure if this is true or just to get round copyright issues, without saying there are copyright issues!

I'm in the US and I have heard Meat refer to the band as Neverland Express quite a few times at shows but he rarely plays in my part of the US. I suppose being a superfan makes it more recognizable to me. I doubt the average US person recognizes Neverland Band any more than Express.

proctorloaf 05 Sep 2018 23:07

I don't buy Paul's answer tbh. The band is referred to as the Neverland Express on DVDs, CDs and tour programmes in the US and well as the UK/EU...

letsgotoofar 05 Sep 2018 23:58

And in spite of all that advertisement, there are still some out there who think Meat Loaf is the name of the band and not just the lead singer, or who just refer to them as "Meat Loaf and his backup musicians"...

anotherday 22 Sep 2018 06:53

Kicks off in just under a week! Is anyone going to any of the shows?

nightinr 29 Sep 2018 11:24

Just watched some clips from YouTube. The band look completely disinterested and Calebs voice is suprisingly weak. And as for the woman singer.....

Please stop this awful experiment immediately.

anotherday 29 Sep 2018 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightinr (Post 623082)
Just watched some clips from YouTube. The band look completely disinterested and Calebs voice is suprisingly weak. And as for the woman singer.....

Please stop this awful experiment immediately.

Can't seem to find any myself. You sure you were watching the correct show?

anotherday 29 Sep 2018 17:35

Cian is also the same one who toured with Meat the past two tours. To call her "the woman singer" is an insult to her.

MarkS 29 Sep 2018 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by anotherday (Post 623083)
Can't seem to find any myself. You sure you were watching the correct show?

I've only seen one, it was paradise, but caleb seemed to be very much going through the motions. It makes you realize how much meat puts in a performance.

letsgotoofar 29 Sep 2018 21:04

YouTube Video


^ Clip of "Paradise" from one of the first shows.

We give Meat a lot -- a lot -- of leeway when he's having an off night. Let's cut them at least as much slack for this being one of the first shows. The kid's gotta hit his stride in the acting department, to which he is (let's not forget) new. When you've never acted this scene before, it's hard to determine how far you can go (no pun intended) without making the other person uncomfortable. It needs a little more rehearsal, that's all.

Pluses? The vocals are fantastic (in spite of the sound mix being poorly reflected in the video), the band is cooking, and the music is exactly as I remember it.

Would I fix things? Yeah; I'd rehearse Caleb and Cian from an acting standpoint a little more, and I frankly think it needs Dave on sax and at least one other female vocalist in the background for a fuller sound from the band. Also, I really miss the classic Phil Rizzuto play-by-play. But for the most part, I think they're nailing it.

AndrewG 29 Sep 2018 21:30

Don't think that YT link is embedded right, but I found it anyway.

It actually sounds quite decent.

Other than Cian's tiny skirt it all looks a bit meh at the moment, but that is based on the video. Perhaps for Paradise they need to just add a different jacket for Caleb and some nicer brighter clothing for Cian to make it more fun. Some props can do wonders for the show I always think. Some type of tearaway dress that Patti had at some point was fun too.
Not a terrible start, surely?

But sure I understand the sentiment about it not being so easy to fill Meat's shoes. Regardless of voice the stage presence was usually just out of this world with Meat.

letsgotoofar 29 Sep 2018 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG (Post 623087)
Don't think that YT link is embedded right, but I found it anyway.

I tried to fix it, hope it works now, but I gotta say, the embedded YouTube videos haven't been working for me for a while. (Latest version of Chrome, Windows 10, if any of that matters.)

ThatWriterGuy 30 Sep 2018 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG (Post 623087)
Other than Cian's tiny skirt it all looks a bit meh at the moment. Some type of tearaway dress that Patti had at some point was fun too.

I can see that going down real well in the #metoo era ...

NightAngel 30 Sep 2018 23:26

Have to disagree with some of the comments.. watching some of the footage.. they've all done it proud. No one will ever be Meat.. however as a fan of ML and the band.. I am proud of them and what they are doing.

Can't wait to catch a show.

duke knooby 30 Sep 2018 23:50

I've just watched the paradise video

I enjoyed it, good job to all involved

who was on bass guitar?

proctorloaf 01 Oct 2018 00:09

It was ok.
Which is the worst way you could ever describe a Jim Steinman song.

ajf33 01 Oct 2018 10:26

Bat Out Of Hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsIEZVtoI2Q

ajf33 01 Oct 2018 10:36

Paradise, I see they're keeping in the make out scene during the play by play section!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdPvloFITZs

Meat Loaf_fan 01 Oct 2018 15:26

Caleb Johnson is not Meat, but he is very good singer. His ability to sing Meat's songs is amazing. Good job! :up:

PS. Plus - we have band (Neverland Express) together once again. Great! :cool:

anotherday 01 Oct 2018 17:06

I don't think anyone was expecting Caleb to be Meat, TBH.
I think people are just going through a bit of shock as this is the first time we've seen anyone other than Meat with the NLE in concert.
Caleb is not Meat, he doesn't have the acting chops that Meat does. We aren't expecting him to be everything Meat is. But what he IS doing, is keeping this music alive until Meat can return for one final bow.

Thats all anyone can ask for at this point, and we're damn lucky we have this.

letsgotoofar 01 Oct 2018 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke knooby (Post 623093)
who was on bass guitar?

Per the website, they are joined on this leg of the tour by special guest musician Nick Dimichino, who also plays bass for the multi-platinum selling band Nine Days.

(In the website's promotional artwork showcasing head shots of the members of the band, he seems to have replaced Steve Buslowe, along with the notation that the alumni lineup is subject to change with each tour leg and that special guest musicians may appear as well.)

duke knooby 01 Oct 2018 23:29

cheers for the info

Steve Buslowe was among my very favourites of the NLE, such a joy to watch and listen to performing.

stretch37 01 Oct 2018 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by anotherday (Post 623100)
I don't think anyone was expecting Caleb to be Meat, TBH.
I think people are just going through a bit of shock as this is the first time we've seen anyone other than Meat with the NLE in concert.
Caleb is not Meat, he doesn't have the acting chops that Meat does. We aren't expecting him to be everything Meat is. But what he IS doing, is keeping this music alive until Meat can return for one final bow.

Thats all anyone can ask for at this point, and we're damn lucky we have this.

Meat got better with age, as so many have said here. I also think Meat's acting is bar none, but I agree with how lucky we are to have this. I hope everyone can find it in them to Give Caleb a chance :cool: He has a great voice and youthful attitude, and I'm hoping he will grow and change with the show, or they all would not have picked him.

loaferman61 02 Oct 2018 17:35

For once nobody is blaming the "crappy cell phone video" for the sound. Caleb is doing the right thing by not even trying to imitate Meat at all. Caleb is not an actor which was always Meat's strength in conveying and interpreting the lyrics. Instead Caleb is just delivering quite good vocals and keeping the band together along with Paul. Not sure how the kiss and groping scene in "Paradise" plays to audiences of today (or if I'm just jealous of Caleb, LOL). I often found "Paradise to run a bit too long for various reasons and I'm not sure the play-by-play is really needed except to back up the make out scene. I had a cassette tape where "Paradise" took up most of one side when Meat (probably) improved a scene about his girl's mom had to have an 8 slice toaster and rode in the back of the pickup truck. I also wonder if Caleb will still try that audience sing-along in "Took the Words" because I would not miss that either. Overall this is good and not just some "tribute" act with some overweight guy and his garage band buddies.

2jaxx 05 Oct 2018 08:52

Here's another one. For what it is, I think it's a great effort.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA74d5BnuW4

loaferman61 05 Oct 2018 22:29

Considering that "Bat" essentially runs straight into "Took the Words" does this mean they are doing the album sequentially? I always liked saving "Bat" for the finale and have a big loud ending while Meat went around the stage soaking in the applause and saying thank you to the fans. I know one of Meat's shows at the Bottom Line refereed to being a "short show since there is only one album". Are they doing additional songs as well? Maybe at least IDAFL.

letsgotoofar 06 Oct 2018 00:42

I refer you to this thread for a link to the set list.

Wario 11 Oct 2018 19:13

Caleb sounds fantastic. He is doing this better than anyone could dream.

Im tired of a charade, these songs havent sounded this good since 2010.

AndrewG 12 Oct 2018 02:05

Watched For Crying Out Loud.
It sounds pretty good. Better than most tributes.

But I do agree with some of the criticisms in the comments. There is some lack of feeling in key points.
Towards the end of the song with the summary lyrics I always envisage this as something far more heartfelt. It almost looks as if Caleb is reading some lyrics from a cheat sheet or so. I could be wrong.

One would almost need to drop to their knees LITERALLY whilst sining these last lines. Meat didn't necessarily do that but it definitely made you feel that. This IS the moment that the truth comes out. The words are about appreciating every great thing that a loved one has done and is doing for the protagonist.

Jim once said that the Bat album HAD to finish with the words "I love you", that was already set in stone. And I always took that as a message to the fans as well or whoever would end up buying the album. Even if there would just be a few thousand rather than dozens of millions.

I think with some more work Caleb could possibly make everyone in the audience feel that particular passion a bit more. This particular climax needs the singer AND PERFORMER to throw everything at it I think rather than just be an audio demo.

It's mostly heading in the right direction I think but some more visual drama is probably necessary to elevate this a bit more.

Sorry to pick on things a bit more but I really think Caleb needs to wear a smart shirt rather than a T shirt hanging over jeans too. Randy is dressed better here. Really think the presentation needs to be spot on like it was with Meat if one wants to perform in the same spirit. Many tributes do that well btw. He shouldn't just be that guy in the random black t shirt in my opinion.

ajf33 13 Oct 2018 11:56

Does anyone know if the full bat is being streamed anywhere, as have a few friends who are interested, but want to hear it before paying for it, and the snippets are not enough for them! I have looked but can't see it on anywhere like spotify, but thought id ask anyway!

anotherday 13 Oct 2018 18:21

It is not streamed anywhere. Its $9 and it goes to support the band. Bite the bullet! Its a great CD.

loaferman61 13 Oct 2018 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by anotherday (Post 623128)
It is not streamed anywhere. Its $9 and it goes to support the band. Bite the bullet! Its a great CD.

If you know Bat Out of Hell and are willing to hear a slightly updated version with another singer who does a good job, it is worth the $9.

loaferman61 13 Oct 2018 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG (Post 623125)
Watched For Crying Out Loud.
It sounds pretty good. Better than most tributes.

But I do agree with some of the criticisms in the comments. There is some lack of feeling in key points.
Towards the end of the song with the summary lyrics I always envisage this as something far more heartfelt. It almost looks as if Caleb is reading some lyrics from a cheat sheet or so. I could be wrong.

One would almost need to drop to their knees LITERALLY whilst sining these last lines. Meat didn't necessarily do that but it definitely made you feel that. This IS the moment that the truth comes out. The words are about appreciating every great thing that a loved one has done and is doing for the protagonist.

Jim once said that the Bat album HAD to finish with the words "I love you", that was already set in stone. And I always took that as a message to the fans as well or whoever would end up buying the album. Even if there would just be a few thousand rather than dozens of millions.

I think with some more work Caleb could possibly make everyone in the audience feel that particular passion a bit more. This particular climax needs the singer AND PERFORMER to throw everything at it I think rather than just be an audio demo.

It's mostly heading in the right direction I think but some more visual drama is probably necessary to elevate this a bit more.

Sorry to pick on things a bit more but I really think Caleb needs to wear a smart shirt rather than a T shirt hanging over jeans too. Randy is dressed better here. Really think the presentation needs to be spot on like it was with Meat if one wants to perform in the same spirit. Many tributes do that well btw. He shouldn't just be that guy in the random black t shirt in my opinion.

He does need some work but they haven't done many shows. I think he's have to be aware that he is not trying to pretend that he is Meat like so many "tributes" do. That would look ridiculous in a serious performance. Very few singers can do both a good voice and convey so much emotion. That put Meat in rare company. Caleb is still young and learning. I guess it is all about expectations to some degree.

ajf33 14 Oct 2018 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by anotherday (Post 623128)
It is not streamed anywhere. Its $9 and it goes to support the band. Bite the bullet! Its a great CD.

I do not doubt it's a great cd, and I am willing to "bite the bullet" as you put it, as I'm happy with what i've heard from the samples! However my friends are a little more conservative, and would like to hear a little more than the snippets, or just the full length Bat!

Doesn't surprise me it's not being streamed, but thought i'd ask anyway, guess they'll have to wait till I have the album to be able to hear it in full lol!

evil nickname 15 Oct 2018 19:47

The full length Bat still seems to be available for streaming at the bottom of the official website https://batexperience.com/

Wario 16 Oct 2018 18:08

where is this 9$ CD?

anotherday 16 Oct 2018 18:11

On the website. https://batexperience.com

evil nickname 17 Oct 2018 07:49

Well, as a download. There is no actual CD (at the moment).

anotherday 23 Oct 2018 03:18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej6H...J_u3m3f8T_3qVY

Seems giving him some time to get into things has helped, for those who had criticisms.

AndrewG 23 Oct 2018 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by anotherday (Post 623148)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej6H...J_u3m3f8T_3qVY

Seems giving him some time to get into things has helped, for those who had criticisms.

Does sound and look pretty good. :-)

Seriously how long has it been since the band performed the entire version of Anything for Love before this Caleb tour? I don't even believe Paul Crook was on board before Meat had already cut it.

Glad to see it being completely restored! :up: It is ultimately what the majority of fans want I reckon.

Wario 24 Oct 2018 02:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG (Post 623149)
Does sound and look pretty good. :-)

Seriously how long has it been since the band performed the entire version of Anything for Love before this Caleb tour? I don't even believe Paul Crook was on board before Meat had already cut it.

Glad to see it being completely restored! :up: It is ultimately what the majority of fans want I reckon.

the last tour AFL was done in its entirety was the first leg of the Born to ROck tour in 1996.

Evil One 24 Oct 2018 11:07

I'd pay to see this. :up:

JaysScout 24 Oct 2018 18:20

We saw the show on October 19th in Jim Thorpe, PA. Caleb was fantastic! I can't imagine another performer doing those difficult songs as well as he did. As always....the band was world class!!!

If anyone sees some video from the show, the reason that Randy's shirt looks so good is that my wife ironed it for him before the show. Randy is great on guitar.....not so good with an iron. LOL

Wario 25 Oct 2018 05:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaysScout (Post 623155)
We saw the show on October 19th in Jim Thorpe, PA. Caleb was fantastic! I can't imagine another performer doing those difficult songs as well as he did. As always....the band was world class!!!

If anyone sees some video from the show, the reason that Randy's shirt looks so good is that my wife ironed it for him before the show. Randy is great on guitar.....not so good with an iron. LOL

setlist just Bat in order then Lemon, frying pan, AFL and queen? any changes?

2jaxx 25 Oct 2018 12:51

I still think he is mostly standing around and not really responding to Cian. It lacks some real emotion and energy. I still dig it because I like Caleb and his singing is technically very, very good. On the other hand, he should deviate more from the recording. He replicates the original vocal more or less. And he leaves out words when Cian starts singing, he should really complete the lines. It sounds way better.
And I missed the "hell".

Reads like a lot of criticism. I still like it a lot.

JaysScout 25 Oct 2018 15:29

Yes. The same set list.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:33.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - mlukfc.com
Made by R.


Page generated in 0.04448 seconds with 11 queries.