mlukfc.com Forums

mlukfc.com Forums (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Post your thoughts (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4661)

duke knooby 16 Jul 2007 01:14

back to work in a few hours, shame

duke knooby 16 Jul 2007 01:15

may have found the next car... after a small 9 month search

Monstro 16 Jul 2007 09:47

Hell of a storm here last night. Didn't last for that long but I've never seen rain like it with hailstones the size of 5p pieces. The thunder and lightning was impressive and some of it struck just a tad too close for comfort. This tree used to dwarf my 4 story building and missed by 8'!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://media.mlxxfc.net/aftermath1.jpg

Hypnobabe 16 Jul 2007 10:29

Thank you x (I think... lol...)

mszee 16 Jul 2007 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by knooby (Post 356399)
not even a lettuce??? which isn't the iceberg i meant

Well...iceberg lettuce will have somewhat different temperature...but iceberg and ice cube...probably the same although I am not willing to do the taste test...

RadioMaster 16 Jul 2007 14:48

i need a credit card

mszee 16 Jul 2007 14:49

I need a credit card where bill goes and gets paid elsewhere...

AndyK 16 Jul 2007 14:50

Going back to the question raised about what's colder, an ice cube or an ice berg ...

It all depends. If the ice berg is pure water, then it's the same at the point of freezing zero degrees centigrade.

However. If the ice berg is made up of frozen sea water, which has an average salinity of 35 parts per thousand of salt, then at the point of freezing the iceberg is colder, since averagely saline sea water freezes at -2 degrees centigrade.

Of course the other issue is what tenperature each is stored at ... if the icecube is in a freezer which is at -10 degrees centigrade and the iceberg is at zero, then the ice cube is colder! Basically there are too many unknowns in the original question.

Tomorrow's science lesson will involve jumping on a moving train or light speed ... :))

mszee 16 Jul 2007 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyK (Post 356547)
Going back to the question raised about what's colder, an ice cube or an ice berg ...

It all depends. If the ice berg is pure water, then it's the same at the point of freezing zero degrees centigrade.

However. If the ice berg is made up of frozen sea water, which has an average salinity of 35 parts per thousand of salt, then at the point of freezing the iceberg is colder, since averagely saline sea water freezes at -2 degrees centigrade.

Of course the other issue is what tenperature each is stored at ... if the icecube is in a freezer which is at -10 degrees centigrade and the iceberg is at zero, then the ice cube is colder! Basically there are too many unknowns in the original question.

Tomorrow's science lesson will involve jumping on a moving train or light speed ... :))

:Stunned:

RadioMaster 16 Jul 2007 14:52

ATTENTION
*play on words*

I need a credit card where the bill gets paid by bill gates!! :smartass::smartass::smartass:

LucyK! 16 Jul 2007 14:54

Quote:

No, no, no. Absolutely not. It's actually making me angry now that I can't get my head around it!

My thoughts - what to wear tonight?! :panic:

RadioMaster 16 Jul 2007 14:55

Quote:

BUT, an iceberg always consists of pure water, no salt.
- otherwise it wouldnt swim
- if it has been part of arctica/antarctica, it was fallen snow in the first place and that's pure water anyway
- it it froze in the ocean, the salt doesnt get frozen WITH the water, just the water freezes, the salt, erm.....sinnks.

Monstro 16 Jul 2007 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadioMaster (Post 356551)
BUT, an iceberg always consists of pure water, no salt.

Sorry RJ, no it doesn't

Ageing Bat 16 Jul 2007 15:24

I think the antarctic icebergs have got some ozone in them...... isn't that where the holes first started appearing? The holes that apparently have now healed themselves...... probably with a carbon footprint.

RadioMaster 16 Jul 2007 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monstro (Post 356552)
Sorry RJ, no it doesn't

sure? always thought so...

mszee 16 Jul 2007 15:36

This is pretty weird discussion for a Meat Loaf forum...shouldn't we be all artsy fartsy and above it all???

AndyK 16 Jul 2007 15:40

Depends on where the iceberg was formed ... if it's come from a glacier then the chances are it's predominantely made from "fresh" water. If it comes from an ice shelf then it's a mixture of fresh and sea water. Even a glacial iceberg will contain some frozen saline water though.

mszee 16 Jul 2007 15:43

Andy, did you see that Meat played Stone Pony???

AndyK 16 Jul 2007 15:48

I've known that for about 19 years Zina :))

mszee 16 Jul 2007 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyK (Post 356573)
I've known that for about 19 years Zina :))

Well, how was I supposed to know THAT?

I wasn't even born 19 years ago! :roll:

AndyK 16 Jul 2007 15:58

I always said you were the result of a laboratory experiment :p

mszee 16 Jul 2007 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyK (Post 356576)
I always said you were the result of a laboratory experiment :p

No, according to my late mom, I am an alien...

In any event...better question is...how did YOU know THAT when you were 2 years old??? :wtf:

Andy...you're such....ummm...hmmm...the best moderator...:mrgreen:

RadioMaster 16 Jul 2007 16:02

back on topic :p

I think that saline water loses all it's salt at the freezing process. At least that's what I read somewhere years ago.

I'm quite confused now :confused:

mszee 16 Jul 2007 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadioMaster (Post 356578)
back on topic :p

I think that saline water loses all it's salt at the freezing process. At least that's what I read somewhere years ago.

I'm quite confused now :confused:

Which means...GET OFF THIS TOPIC ALREADY!!!

Us simple humans and aliens got our minds boggled with this...

AndyK 16 Jul 2007 16:09

As sea water reaches freezing point, the salt in the solution is "rejected", hoewever this results in denser "fresh" water being created. This denser water sinks through the warmer salt water below it, with more salt water therefore being present at the surface of the sea. As a result when the solid ice is formed it is a mixture of fresh water and sea water ... ie a less saline solution, but not all of the salt if "rejected" throught the ice formation process.