![]() |
The best cover of Meat
We could find the best cover of Meat after our ratings but I'm lazy. So my question is what is the best cover of Meat? I don't fill the list up with songs of Bad For Good, Pandora's Box, musical stuffs (No Matter What, Oh What a Beautiful Morning, etc.) and any live songs (River Deep & Mountain High, etc.). I mean songs are recorded in studio by Meat and recorded in studio by the original artist and came out on CD or B-side.
|
To me it's Stand By Me. His voice is unbelievable, his best vocal ever. I like Presence Of The Lord and Martha as well...
|
Could we add Let It Be (which has stand out vocals) and Come Together, both recorded by the Beatles, and both recorded in the studio by Meat and issued as B sides. I'd also suggest that Home By Now/No Matter What, being a huge hit single for Boyzone in the UK and later recorded by Meat, moved beyond musical stuff, and earns its place on any "covers" list.
Caryl |
As far as I know Come Together and Let It Be was recorded in a radio station live. No Matter What appeared first as a musical song and it's not cover because they recorded the same time with Boyzone, only the Very Best Of came out a few months later...
|
I'm sure this will shock many people, but I'm going for California Dreamin' with Tear Me Down in second place. I like Stand By Me, but the added effects that make it sound like Meat is singing in the bath spoil it somewhat. If I was allowed to take live versions into account then Mercury Blues would win hands down.
|
There was argue about vocal of Stand By Me hundred years ago. Are you sure his voice is modified? If you hit your troat softly with your finger you get the same effect.
|
Having thought a bit more, Prize Fight Lover was a cover as it had already been released by Rick Brantley. My vote definitely goes for that. :twisted:
Quote:
Also Whore should be on the list as it had already been released by Pearl. |
Has he realesed it? I didn't find his album... I know only concerts he performed it.
|
Quote:
|
Quote:
|
Quote:
I think you're incorrect about Let It Be and Come Together, but hey were certainly issued as B-sides of a single. Great covers, so why be prissy about it? And I think you're assuming No Matter What/Home By Now was issued only on the album. It was issued as the B-side of a single. I thought Prize Fight Lover was issued in the USA? What value is there in a poll on "Meat Loaf Covers" if you arbitrarily make decisions on what you'll include, and won't accept suggestions from members here who identify others? Caryl |
The Beatles songs were recorded live for a US TV programme (Nightline I think)
|
Well whatever, they were issued by Virgin in the UK in 1996 as tracks 2 and 3 with Not A Dry Eye. They are covers, and imo could be included. And have Mercury Blues and Black Betty been separately recorded in a studio?
My vote goes for Let It Be, which was a stand out song when it was first released, and is even more so with Meat's delivery. The vocals are superb .. and if that's a live recording are simply outstanding. The message is powerful, and Meat brings it into an even greater focus than the original. I love Forever Young which he made his own and which has great vocals also; Black Betty is a great rocker; and California Dreamin' is another song he has enhanced beyond measure. But for me Let It Be is simply the most outstanding cover he has released. I love it, 10 out of 10. Caryl |
California Dreamin' for me ( you forgot to add another great cover to the list... It's all coming back to me now... ;)) )
|
Quote:
Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner |
So, Let It Be and Come Together were live and not studio record. If we added them to the list, we could add Lawyers, Guns & Money or even the national anthem of USA and many more. My question was "what is the best studio recorded cover song of Meat"?
Whore is okay, but as fas as I know Prize Fight Lover was not realesed before. Now there are 2 Stand By Me on the list. :) It's All Coming Back To Me Now was a song on Pandora's Box, if we added this we would add Original Sin, It Just Won't Quit or any other items from BFG. No Matter What was musical and it wasn't a cover of Boyzone it just came out later. Anyway, the thread is pointless now, you can close it! ;) A few people has hard brain... |
"California Dreamin' " ... but "Forever Young" ... oh, I don't know ... :roll: *
* "California Dreamin' " got my vote. Why? :shrug: I don't like pools where it's nearly impossible to choose some option. :evil: ;) |
no its a good poll idea. Just it shoudlve been taken in two parts: Your favroite studio cover and then your favorite live cover.
The winning two then should go head to head in a final poll For this i picked Tear Me Down. if this were a live situation Lawyers then promised Land (SNL version is ballin') |
Quote:
As for No Matter What, Meat's was the original recorded version, so not sure it could be classed as a cover even though BZ had a big hit with it. As for my own choice, there's a lot of great songs there, but i've got to go with Black Betty. |
Promsied Land (which would make a superb be an encore song) just edges California Dreamin' for me, with Martha right at the bottom of the list.
|
I went for 'Forever Young'.
Such wonderful lyrics and was sung absolutely beautifully. |
Quote:
|
SOO Many great songs to choose from! Has to be Prize fight lover, all coming back or River Deep
|
Quote:
|
Out of curiousity, why does everyone hate Martha? I don't think I've ever seen a positive thing about it on here, but I quite like it. There's three dodgy songs on Welcome to the Neighbourhood in my opinion (45 Seconds, Fiesta de Whatever and If This Is the Last Kiss), and the rest are just top notch. Martha is no exception :D
Forever Young is my favourite cover, with Mercury Blues and Black Betty not far behind. The cello solo at the end gets me at the end every time. It's incredible O.O |
I love California Dreamin. It is those sexy sax sounds that put it at the top of my list. So many great ones to choose from. Some of them, like Martha, I didn't even know were covers. Meat's is the only version of Martha I have heard. Love that song. I think it is awesome.
|
Martha is a great Tom Waits song. I love it, one of the best on WTTN but it doesn't fit on that. Who was Martha in Meat's life?
|
Quote:
|
Both!
|
Quote:
It was done in 1995, he was married and settled at that time, so I don't believe that using the song was a sign of any pining for anyone. I think it just fitted right for the piece. As for the Marth in the story, I read it like this............. Where The Rubber Meets The Road. I'd Lie For You. Original Sin. 45 Seconds Of Extacy. Martha & Tom Frost meet, fall in love, and get it on (what was the original sin, and why did it only last 45 seconds? :lol: ). Runnin' for the Red Light Fiesta de las Almas Perdidas Tom and his pals run down to Mexico to "have a good time" but it appears that he has too much of a good time. I think it's referenced in "Martha" that he did what he did in Mexico because he felt a certain peer pressure. "All that mattered then was I was a man". So when a hot seniorita landed in his lap, he couldn't say no in front of his friends in case they thought he was whipped. Left in the Dark Meat has said that the character in this song is a woman. It's Martha singing to Tom after he's come back from Mexico doing stuff that he shouldn't really have been doing :bleh: Not A Dry Eye They have a big and dramatic end of the world argument. Amnesty is Granted They decide to give it another go. If This Is the Last Kiss Martha decided that it's just not working, and that they can't go on together. There's no overblown show of emotion like in Not A Dry Eye. Nothing is said out of sudden anger or upset, it's much more considered which makes it much more final. It appears that they have come to a realistic agreement that it's just not working, but they have one more night of passion before leaving each others lives forever. Martha Many years go past, and now Tom is an old man. Tom and Martha agreed never to see each other again, but she's been on his mind and he feels he needs closure by seeing her and telling her he's sorry things turned out the way they did, and how he really felt about her. Where Angels Sing I think Tom and Martha arrange to meet so they can both finally move on, but (my interpritation) as he's getting ready to leave the house he falls down and dies. As he lies on the floor in his last moments, these are the things that pass through his mind. The song takes place in the past and the present, in this world and the next. So, short answer, Martha is the woman in the couple the whole album is about :mrgreen: :lol: |
There are so many great ones (Forever Young, Come Together, Let It Be, Whore) but my favorite is California Dreamin'.
|
Quote:
|
Quote:
(not a dry eye i could skip though lol) |
:twisted: It's handy having all those links in the standing thread :mrgreen:
For instance, I can very easily find the Martha thread and as you will see, quite a few people have good things to say about that song 8) |
California Dreamin' IMO is the best with Martha right behind it, love both of these songs and I don't get why anyone would hate Martha.
|
Stand By Me
|
Quote:
Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner |
Quote:
Martha is a great song... |
I enjoy California Dreamin' a lot as well as Forever Young that being said, the BEK cover is phenomenal. The others rank great with Martha on the bottom. The singing is there, but I don't care for the lyrics as much as others before and after.
|
Quote:
After 20 years, you have solved the puzzle for me. The album makes sense now :-) P.S I also really like Martha. P.P.S What was the comment Meat once made about Martha and the fitting of white gloves ( or something) ? |
Quote:
|
Quote:
Nowhere in the story is she indicated to be in any danger, and she certainly looks threatened on the cover (and even more so on the inside where it looks like a dude in cuffs is using her as a human shield :lol: ). But it's all about personal perspective. You may be able to weave the story in your mind so that there is a subplot where the cover ties into the story. For me, it's just art work that happens to go rather well with the flavour of the album, but isn't about the album. Quote:
|
| All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:39. |
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - mlukfc.com
Made by R.