mlukfc.com Forums

mlukfc.com Forums (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The best cover of Meat (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18211)

White of High 05 Jun 2012 09:57

The best cover of Meat
 
We could find the best cover of Meat after our ratings but I'm lazy. So my question is what is the best cover of Meat? I don't fill the list up with songs of Bad For Good, Pandora's Box, musical stuffs (No Matter What, Oh What a Beautiful Morning, etc.) and any live songs (River Deep & Mountain High, etc.). I mean songs are recorded in studio by Meat and recorded in studio by the original artist and came out on CD or B-side.

White of High 05 Jun 2012 10:04

To me it's Stand By Me. His voice is unbelievable, his best vocal ever. I like Presence Of The Lord and Martha as well...

CarylB 05 Jun 2012 10:23

Could we add Let It Be (which has stand out vocals) and Come Together, both recorded by the Beatles, and both recorded in the studio by Meat and issued as B sides. I'd also suggest that Home By Now/No Matter What, being a huge hit single for Boyzone in the UK and later recorded by Meat, moved beyond musical stuff, and earns its place on any "covers" list.

Caryl

White of High 05 Jun 2012 10:36

As far as I know Come Together and Let It Be was recorded in a radio station live. No Matter What appeared first as a musical song and it's not cover because they recorded the same time with Boyzone, only the Very Best Of came out a few months later...

Evil One 05 Jun 2012 10:58

I'm sure this will shock many people, but I'm going for California Dreamin' with Tear Me Down in second place. I like Stand By Me, but the added effects that make it sound like Meat is singing in the bath spoil it somewhat. If I was allowed to take live versions into account then Mercury Blues would win hands down.

White of High 05 Jun 2012 11:17

There was argue about vocal of Stand By Me hundred years ago. Are you sure his voice is modified? If you hit your troat softly with your finger you get the same effect.

Evil One 05 Jun 2012 11:18

Having thought a bit more, Prize Fight Lover was a cover as it had already been released by Rick Brantley. My vote definitely goes for that. :twisted:

Quote:

Originally Posted by White of High (Post 571269)
If you hit your troat softly with your finger you get the same effect.

Why would I want to? The song would have been better without it. :shrug:

Also Whore should be on the list as it had already been released by Pearl.

White of High 05 Jun 2012 11:19

Has he realesed it? I didn't find his album... I know only concerts he performed it.

White of High 05 Jun 2012 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil One (Post 571270)
Why would I want to? The song would have been better without it. :shrug:

I love this trembling in his voice...

White of High 05 Jun 2012 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil One (Post 571270)
Also Whore should be on the list as it had already been released by Pearl.

You're right but I can't edit the list. :(

CarylB 05 Jun 2012 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by White of High (Post 571273)
You're right but I can't edit the list. :(

Then you could ask for it to be done by the moderators.

I think you're incorrect about Let It Be and Come Together, but hey were certainly issued as B-sides of a single. Great covers, so why be prissy about it? And I think you're assuming No Matter What/Home By Now was issued only on the album. It was issued as the B-side of a single. I thought Prize Fight Lover was issued in the USA?

What value is there in a poll on "Meat Loaf Covers" if you arbitrarily make decisions on what you'll include, and won't accept suggestions from members here who identify others?

Caryl

Evil One 05 Jun 2012 11:39

The Beatles songs were recorded live for a US TV programme (Nightline I think)

CarylB 05 Jun 2012 12:05

Well whatever, they were issued by Virgin in the UK in 1996 as tracks 2 and 3 with Not A Dry Eye. They are covers, and imo could be included. And have Mercury Blues and Black Betty been separately recorded in a studio?

My vote goes for Let It Be, which was a stand out song when it was first released, and is even more so with Meat's delivery. The vocals are superb .. and if that's a live recording are simply outstanding. The message is powerful, and Meat brings it into an even greater focus than the original.

I love Forever Young which he made his own and which has great vocals also; Black Betty is a great rocker; and California Dreamin' is another song he has enhanced beyond measure.

But for me Let It Be is simply the most outstanding cover he has released. I love it, 10 out of 10.

Caryl

DJLeen 05 Jun 2012 12:24

California Dreamin' for me ( you forgot to add another great cover to the list... It's all coming back to me now... ;)) )

olblueeyes 05 Jun 2012 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarylB
And have Mercury Blues and Black Betty been separately recorded in a studio?

Black Betty was the B side of All Coming Back to Me Now's vinyl picture disc single - pretty sure that was a studio recording. Mercury Blues definitely was done in the studio as it was the hidden track on the CHSIB album.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

White of High 05 Jun 2012 15:43

So, Let It Be and Come Together were live and not studio record. If we added them to the list, we could add Lawyers, Guns & Money or even the national anthem of USA and many more. My question was "what is the best studio recorded cover song of Meat"?

Whore is okay, but as fas as I know Prize Fight Lover was not realesed before. Now there are 2 Stand By Me on the list. :)

It's All Coming Back To Me Now was a song on Pandora's Box, if we added this we would add Original Sin, It Just Won't Quit or any other items from BFG. No Matter What was musical and it wasn't a cover of Boyzone it just came out later.

Anyway, the thread is pointless now, you can close it! ;) A few people has hard brain...

Meat Loaf_fan 05 Jun 2012 18:44

"California Dreamin' " ... but "Forever Young" ... oh, I don't know ... :roll: *






* "California Dreamin' " got my vote. Why? :shrug:
I don't like pools where it's nearly impossible to choose some option. :evil: ;)

Wario 05 Jun 2012 18:48

no its a good poll idea. Just it shoudlve been taken in two parts: Your favroite studio cover and then your favorite live cover.

The winning two then should go head to head in a final poll

For this i picked Tear Me Down.

if this were a live situation Lawyers then promised Land (SNL version is ballin')

The Flying Mouse 05 Jun 2012 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarylB (Post 571266)
Could we add Let It Be (which has stand out vocals) and Come Together, both recorded by the Beatles, and both recorded in the studio by Meat and issued as B sides. I'd also suggest that Home By Now/No Matter What, being a huge hit single for Boyzone in the UK and later recorded by Meat, moved beyond musical stuff, and earns its place on any "covers" list.

Caryl

:twisted: Come Together was already on the list (when I first saw it) but i've added Let It Be.

As for No Matter What, Meat's was the original recorded version, so not sure it could be classed as a cover even though BZ had a big hit with it.

As for my own choice, there's a lot of great songs there, but i've got to go with Black Betty.

AndyK 05 Jun 2012 19:10

Promsied Land (which would make a superb be an encore song) just edges California Dreamin' for me, with Martha right at the bottom of the list.

JennaG 05 Jun 2012 19:16

I went for 'Forever Young'.

Such wonderful lyrics and was sung absolutely beautifully.

Evil One 05 Jun 2012 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyK (Post 571291)
Martha right at the bottom of the list.

Definitely.

Cherry.Loaf 05 Jun 2012 20:43

SOO Many great songs to choose from! Has to be Prize fight lover, all coming back or River Deep

Wario 05 Jun 2012 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherry.Loaf (Post 571295)
SOO Many great songs to choose from! Has to be Prize fight lover, all coming back or River Deep

PFL isnt a cover.....

Mr. Happy 06 Jun 2012 08:40

Out of curiousity, why does everyone hate Martha? I don't think I've ever seen a positive thing about it on here, but I quite like it. There's three dodgy songs on Welcome to the Neighbourhood in my opinion (45 Seconds, Fiesta de Whatever and If This Is the Last Kiss), and the rest are just top notch. Martha is no exception :D

Forever Young is my favourite cover, with Mercury Blues and Black Betty not far behind. The cello solo at the end gets me at the end every time. It's incredible O.O


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:16.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - mlukfc.com
Made by R.


Page generated in 0.03616 seconds with 11 queries.