Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Life » Off Topic

Old 02 Feb 2011, 00:27   #47851
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

and how the hell is facebook valued? how does it generate revenue?

is there advertising on it?
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2011, 00:31   #47852
samurai7
Rock Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke knooby View Post
how does it generate revenue?

is there advertising on it?
yes.
samurai7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2011, 00:37   #47853
CarylB
Mega Loafer

There's plenty of advertising on it, yes! Four at least a page on the right hand size, about 25 on a linked page. They charge for "impressions" per thousand (ads being shown to users) or "clicks" (when a user visits the advertised site). It's huge business!!

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2011, 00:45   #47854
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

good, it has a genuine revenue earner, though i'm still concerned as to the data aspect, is it true anything put on facebook cannot be erased... just hidden from view?

(and it is still valued suspiciously highly for just advertising)
Old 02 Feb 2011, 02:46   #47855
CarylB
Mega Loafer

You can delete stuff or pages, and you can delete your account altogether, although people seem to have problems with the latter, mainly because Facebook deactivate the account in question for two weeks, and permanently delete it ONLY if you do not use Facebook IN ANY WAY during that period. So checking to see if it's gone will count as use, as will any action on other Facebook pages, or logging into other services using Facebook Connect .. which imo is a bit sneaky!

As to its being erased or simply hidden from view .. on the internet I'm not sure if anything is permanently and completely erased, or still floating in the ether if you know how to find it. Someone more versed in the internet may know.

As to it's "value" .. its real value will only be tested if it's sold or floated; but I guess the recent value put on it is based on its potential (as are most valuations of companies) plus it's an implied value really, based on its phenomenal growth and the recent investments of some $500m in it.

Its potential for advertisers is huge because so many people put so much personal information on it, including their interests, likes, activities etc, Facebook can analyse that and target advertising, which makes it more of a winner for advertisers than almost any other site selling ads; a massive selling point. That alone must vastly increase its potential value. (And is why the ads appearing on mine are so random! )

Caryl
Old 02 Feb 2011, 03:28   #47856
carole
Mega Loafer

Yeah I've heard that anything put onto the internet is there somewhere forever. Even if deleted or erased someone with computer savvy can get it back.

Carole
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2011, 10:45   #47857
AndyK
Relentless

Just because you've deleted a picture form your profile on facebook (for example) doesn't mean that the file is actually removed from their servers. All you've done is remove the link to the picture from the profile. Chances are that each individual picture is replicated over a nuber of storage devices on the facebook servers to proivde for failure, huigher speed access etc etc. And data will be backed up to tape, disc or offline discs to enable a restoration of service.

So facebook will have multiple copies of that one file that you've uploaded to it's servers. How many people have downloaded the picture that you've uploaded too? There could be copies anywhere ... I've seen photos I've taken (some of which were only ever shared briefly on this or other sites) appear on other peoples profiles for example.

The only true way to delete anything is to have it physically erased from the hard disc that it's stored on, and then to have that portion of the disc overwritten with random data a number of times (7 times is generally accepted as enough to ensure that the data is not accessible to anyone. The backup tapes, discs or offline storage arrays would need cleansing too, which is much more complex.

The same holds true with your hard drive on your PC at home or your memory stick or your memory card in your smart phone. Just because you've "deleted it" and then emptied your wastebasket, doesn't mean it's really gone. Give me 5 minutes and I could have it back again
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2011, 11:08   #47858
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
Just because you've deleted a picture form your profile on facebook (for example) doesn't mean that the file is actually removed from their servers.
That's what I thought .. although neither speaking nor understanding the language I couldn't have expressed the thought in geek

Just highlights the reality of the net and Facebook, which so many seem completely oblivious to .. and the dangers!

And as well as people downloading anything you put on it, there are also these endless daft "quizzes", where people who don't know you from Adam, and wouldn't recognise you if you came up to them with a large club (which some deserve ) "answer" questions about you from a position of utter ignorance, and this rubbish too sits forever on Facebook around its many pages. It won't surprise me in the least if on the anniversary of my daughter's death I get yet another notification of a quiz someone has completed on me which answers the question "Would Caryl Burton like to have children?" with "Yes". There's a lot about Facebook I find sits on a scale between daftly tacky to downright and thoughtlessly stupid.

Caryl
Old 02 Feb 2011, 12:34   #47859
Evil One
Mega Loafer

It seems I've aquired a lovely bios error that randomly shuts down my PC. The question is: do I replace the motherboard or the whole lot as there's a couple of things now concerning me about this setup? It would be nice to have a computer that lives longer than a couple of years.

Last edited by Evil One; 02 Feb 2011 at 12:53.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2011, 12:52   #47860
daveake
200% is the new 110%

You mean a "blue screen of death"? Drop me a PM 'cos it might be software not hardware ...
daveake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2011, 12:55   #47861
Evil One
Mega Loafer

No, not a blue screen. The whole thing either freezes and becomes totally unresponsive or it shuts down and I get the black screen with BIOS error at the top and lots of beeping!
Old 02 Feb 2011, 13:39   #47862
daveake
200% is the new 110%

It's fecked then.

Can't remember ever seeing a BIOS message once Windoze has started.

You could try re-seating the memory.
daveake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2011, 13:42   #47863
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
No, not a blue screen. The whole thing either freezes and becomes totally unresponsive or it shuts down and I get the black screen with BIOS error at the top and lots of beeping!
That PC is pretty much crashed. sorry
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2011, 13:55   #47864
Evil One
Mega Loafer

I've already took it apart and had a fiddle so it's time to start pricing up parts I suppose . If I disappear then you know it's all gone a bollock!
Old 02 Feb 2011, 14:01   #47865
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Quote:
I've already took it apart and had a fiddle so it's time to start pricing up parts I suppose . If I disappear then you know it's all gone a bollock!
oh hope you backed up your you-know-whats
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2011, 14:19   #47866
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Yes they're all safely stored away in my thingummy along with my wotsits.
Old 02 Feb 2011, 14:26   #47867
AndyK
Relentless

Quote:
Yes they're all safely stored away in my thingummy along with my wotsits.
You don't want to do that, they'll get covered in a cheesy orange dust.
Old 02 Feb 2011, 14:30   #47868
suzieq
Mega Loafer

Happy Groundhog Day!
suzieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2011, 14:41   #47869
AndyK
Relentless

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieq View Post
Happy Groundhog Day!
If you make the same post at the same time tomorrow, then we'll know you're in trouble
Old 02 Feb 2011, 15:37   #47870
melon
Long Distance Loafer

Firstly, WHOOOO I figured out how to multi quote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carole View Post
It's looking bad for far north Queensland at the moment. Cyclone is upgraded to a category 5 with winds of up to 300km/h expected to hit at around 10pm tonight. It will hit the area from Port Douglas to Townsville. Not sure how familiar you are with a map of Queensland but it is a huge area. They say up to 30 000 homes will be affected. Like they haven't been through enough with the recent floods, now this. My heart goes out to all of them.

Carole
Down to business, yeah they reckon it is big enough to cover most of the US and a majority of Asia, it is the worst in Aus in 100 years!

Quote:
is it true anything posted on facebook becomes the property of "facebook"
Yes it is, always be careful what you put there, what goes on the internet stays there forever!
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2011, 15:39   #47871
melon
Long Distance Loafer

Quote:
good, it has a genuine revenue earner, though i'm still concerned as to the data aspect, is it true anything put on facebook cannot be erased... just hidden from view?

(and it is still valued suspiciously highly for just advertising)
As I said in my last post, anything that goes on the internet stays there forever, even if you "delete" it. There are always ways of getting it.
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2011, 00:39   #47872
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

Quote:
ive had that on the corner art exhibit... it only became an art exhibit after the above
Old 03 Feb 2011, 00:51   #47873
MeatGrl1
No Day But Today

Location:  Sitting on the steps outside looking so restless and reckless and lost!

What a day, that was hard but needed to be done.. Why does crying take alot or most of your energy ?!
MeatGrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2011, 02:34   #47874
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Sometimes what we feel as exhaustion is more the emotional catharis we achieve. Also crying is a non-violent means of discharging distress (in itself a physically tiring process),and (sometimes unknowingly) the distress of previous associated experiences. Psychologically we can as a result make clearer sense of issues, present and past, and that too can leave us tired although hopefully sometimes wiser; but it's a learning process which consumes effort.

Also puzzling is why men who would appear to be adults think that behaving like children is somehow intellectually smart and hugely amusing. But that's a whole other can of worms

Caryl
Old 03 Feb 2011, 18:39   #47875
firefly
Mega Loafer

Well thats my inducton course over with for today.... start work Saturday!!!
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote