Originally Posted by Adje View Post
Hey, it's not the quantity that's left, but the quality
Paul Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2012, 21:05   #49977
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
But it is post your thoughts after all ... good or bad thoughts notwithstanding ... ?
True.
But to write off the whole forum as people with no perspective, because you don't agree with what some people think, is a little extreme and offensive.

Quote:
but the views of many here are sometimes too much to stomach.

That's a door that swings both ways.
I'm sure there are people on the forum who think my views are too much at times, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't post them.
Everyone has their own point of view, and we (the staff) do our best to make sure that everyone is able to post that point of view in an open minded and respectul atmosphere.
We will defend your right to your point of view, even if we do not agree with it.

The incident (I believe) that prompted this discussion was the deletion of a post that was heading deeper into an off topic row on a on topic thread. That, you know, is something that we do at our discression to keep threads on track and open.

Quote:
I understand your point - while being equally offended by the sentiment ...
I don't mean to be overly offensive, just blunt
I've been a member of another forum, and because I didn't agree with the views of another member I left the forum. I found this persons views personally insulting, which in turn prevented me from enjoying the forum, so I left it.

We do everything we can to keep the playing field level and make sure all voices are heard. So to read comments like the ones i've quoted feels like biting the hand that feeds.
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2012, 21:10   #49978
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Mouse View Post
The incident (I believe) that prompted this discussion was the deletion of a post that was heading deeper into an off topic row on a on topic thread. That, you know, is something that we do at our discression to keep threads on track and open.
Yet had that quote had stated the oposite it would be still here. Despite the fact others disagree with that statement. Which says more about the people wanted it removed and the folks removing them.

Of course that is if we are talking about the same (non offensive) quote

At least YOU know now you're not on my ignore list
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 02 Sep 2012, 21:18   #49979
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
The incident (I believe) that prompted this discussion was the deletion of a post that was heading deeper into an off topic row on a on topic thread.
I wasn't going to say any more on this but since you're bringing it up... In case you refer to one of my posts that got deleted as soon as it was submitted - that post clearly referred to what had been said on that thread. If it's allowed to degrade the work of other artists but not allowed to wonder why some people are keen on doing that, I wonder where the "respect" that is so much talked about on here and the "right to one's point of view" are to be found.

FYI: The question I asked (or rather the thought I posted) was a rather global one, based on a couple of observations I made recently. If I had been keen on a discussion like the one you just started, I would have posted something in the Feedback Central section instead. Now that would have been fun...
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2012, 21:33   #49980
Paul Richardson
Super Loafer

Quote:
But to write off the whole forum as people with no perspective, because you don't agree with what some people think, is a little extreme and offensive.
But when virtually everything everyone says is sycophantic and fawning, I think that's a lack of perspective, and equally extreme.

Quote:
We will defend your right to your point of view, even if we do not agree with it.
Thank you - let's not argue about it then

Quote:
So to read comments like the ones i've quoted feels like biting the hand that feeds.
As I said before I wasn't being critical of the forum or the people who run it, just some of the members. I don't think you're feeding me, but I'm certainly not biting your hand ...
Old 02 Sep 2012, 21:36   #49981
The Flying Mouse

Quote:
Yet had that quote had stated the oposite it would be still here.
You mean if it was the opposite of off topic?
I'd have to agree with you there

Quote:
Which says more about the people wanted it removed and the folks removing them.
We received a reported post, a mod (not me in this instance) took a look, made a judgement, and acted accordingly.

From reading the post and reading the complaint, I can say that I would have done the same. Although in my case I might have hacked some more portions out of some more posts.

Quote:
Of course that is if we are talking about the same (non offensive) quote
OK, let me throw this down and see if I can explain my point of view on this. The post in question was about Meat Vs other artists and was posted in a review thread.

A long time ago, in a galaxy faf far away (OK, Chorley) a ML tribute act took offence to people posting reviews that said stuff like "Steve Steinman in the best Meat Loaf tribute". Or "Pete Loaf is the worlds greatest", or "The Flying Mouse beats them all". OK, I added the last one

This persons point was that you coult not possibly say somebody was "the best" unless you had seen every Meat Loaf tribute in the world do a performance.

That, I believe, is daft.
But I had to personally defend this burks point every time someone said "someone is the best", and usually getting the height of abuse for my pains.
Remember what I said about how we defend people we don't agree with? this was walking talking proof.

There's nothing wrong with people saying "Meat's the best" "Meat's the greatest" "nobody puts on a show like Meat".
There's nothing wrong with this because it's what is in the persons heart.
They might not be very educated because they might not have seen all these acts perform in person.
Even if they had, as far as i'm aware there is no universally used scale to meassure accuratly how good or enjoyable a show is.

Take a post like that for what it is. Heartfelt opinion, even though it has no basis in FACT.

Doesn't mean people cannot expess their feelings.

I'm sure there are people on Westlife forums that say "nobody does it like Westlife". I'm inclined to agree, which is why i'm not a fan of theirs
But I feel no offense or compulsion toi go and correct them that Meat Loaf is CLEARLY a supperior performer, and his songs are a hell of a lot better.

It has never upset me when someone has said "someone is the best Meat trib in the world". It doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Arguing the toss over wheather Meat is better than someone else, just because a fan said it on a thread that's dealing with reviews of a concert, is, with all due respect, on par with that trib demanding that nobody be crowned king of the hill without scientific proof

It had no place on the thread, and was going to drag it off topic till it was locked.
That's why it was removed.

Quote:
At least YOU know now you're not on my ignore list
Who said that?
Old 02 Sep 2012, 21:38   #49982
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Bla bla bla

OK, let me throw this down and see if I can explain my point of view on this. The post in question was about Meat Vs other artists and was posted in a review thread.

blah blah blah
Nope, we're actually talking about another post LOL

The one I referred to is from another member and has the removed passage still quoted in the reply following it (still makes sense?)

Anyway, completely different stuff...
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2012, 21:41   #49983
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
this burk
The most accurate statement on this forum all weekend.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2012, 21:49   #49984
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Good Lord... I typed five little words and it ends up in references to someone whose name cannot/must not even be mentioned here... Another Guinness...
Old 02 Sep 2012, 21:51   #49985
The Flying Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
that post clearly referred to what had been said on that thread. If it's allowed to degrade the work of other artists but not allowed to wonder why some people are keen on doing that, I wonder where the "respect" that is so much talked about on here and the "right to one's point of view" are to be found.
Again.
A report was made.
The mod in question saw the report had merit.
The post was deleted.

If you believe a post is disrespectul hit the report button, explain your case to the team, and if we think your point is valid we will act appropriatly.

Personally I would have been happy to delete the comments saying other acts were put to shame, but you didn't report it for our attention, so don't blame us that your point is overlooked

Quote:
FYI: The question I asked (or rather the thought I posted) was a rather global one, based on a couple of observations I made recently. If I had been keen on a discussion like the one you just started, I would have posted something in the Feedback Central section instead. Now that would have been fun...
And it would have run exactly like this one I think

I'd still be saying the same old lines.

"We do what we can to ensure freedom of speech in a respectful enviroment."

"If you don't like something, report it to us and make your case so we can act on it."

There's only so many times I can say that.

Quote:
But when virtually everything everyone says is sycophantic and fawning, I think that's a lack of perspective, and equally extreme.
If that was true there wouldn't be half as many clashes on this forum.
I don't think some of the people posting in this thread right now would ever discribe themselves as sycophants

But clashes there are.

We've been told by Meat and Paul we are not supportive enough.............

....told by a group of fans that we don't do enough to make this a place of positivity for Meat..............

....and told by another group of fans that we are sycophats who delete anything we don't agree with and abuse their rights to free speech.

Usually all at the same time.

Ladies and Gentelmen, welcome to no mans land

Quote:
As I said before I wasn't being critical of the forum or the people who run it, just some of the members. I don't think you're feeding me, but I'm certainly not biting your hand ...
Yeah, sorry, it's the best saying I could come up with at the time
We're not feeding the members here, but we are supplying a platform for our members to air their views.
Old 02 Sep 2012, 21:55   #49986
The Flying Mouse

Quote:
Nope, we're actually talking about another post LOL

The one I referred to is from another member and has the removed passage still quoted in the reply following it (still makes sense?)

Anyway, completely different stuff...
I liked the "blah blah blah" you put in my quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
The most accurate statement on this forum all weekend.
[Father Jack Hackett]

AWARD! AWARD!

PHOTO!

[/Father Jack Hackett]

Quote:
Good Lord... I typed five little words and it ends up in references to someone whose name cannot/must not even be mentioned here... Another Guinness...
What can I say, I see a direct link between the two discussions
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 02 Sep 2012, 22:02   #49987
Evil One
Mega Loafer

You would like to be awarded a photo of the Pork?
Old 02 Sep 2012, 22:02   #49988
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
If you believe a post is disrespectul hit the report button, explain your case to the team, and if we think your point is valid we will act appropriatly.
I favor an open discussion over reporting posts that don't violate any forum rules. If I reported every post I disagree with, I'd probably be busy with hitting the report button all day at times. I'd rather read what the person I disagree with has to say than request posts to be edited or deleted.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 02 Sep 2012, 22:03   #49989
The Flying Mouse

Talking The award goes to.............

Quote:

[Father Jack Hackett]

AWARD! AWARD!

PHOTO!

[/Father Jack Hackett]

YouTube Video
Old 02 Sep 2012, 22:07   #49990
Paul Richardson
Super Loafer

Quote:
If that was true there wouldn't be half as many clashes on this forum. I don't think some of the people posting in this thread right now would ever describe themselves as sycophants
I was exaggerating to make a point - but there is a large sycophantic element here in my opinion.

Quote:
We've been told by Meat and Paul we are not supportive enough.............

....told by a group of fans that we don't do enough to make this a place of positivity for Meat..............

....and told by another group of fans that we are sycophants who delete anything we don't agree with and abuse their rights to free speech.

Usually all at the same time.
Its a tough job I agree, but I'm not aware (but I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong) that anyone reports the overly sycophantic posts, but anything perceived to be critical tends to get pounced on or reported, and then deleted as a result.
Old 02 Sep 2012, 22:08   #49991
The Flying Mouse

Quote:
I favor an open discussion over reporting posts that don't violate any forum rules. If I reported every post I disagree with, I'd probably be busy with hitting the report button all day at times. I'd rather read what the person I disagree with has to say than request posts to be edited or deleted.

Well that's your privlidge, but don't blame us for taking others peoples point of view into consideration when they are the only ones sharing their views with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
You would like to be awarded a photo of the Pork?
I'm a little disturbed that you have such media to offer
Old 02 Sep 2012, 22:10   #49992
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
I'm a little disturbed that you have such media to offer
I shall dig some out of my tour trailer once I get it out of Tesco's car park.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 02 Sep 2012, 22:11   #49993
Paul Richardson
Super Loafer

Quote:
This
Old 02 Sep 2012, 22:14   #49994
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Well that's your privlidge, but don't blame us for taking others peoples point of view into consideration when they are the only ones sharing their views with us.
I haven't blamed anything on anybody, it was you who referred to the deleted post. I just stated my point of view on your action in response to your statements on this thread. As for the term "privilege" - let's say I obviously just have another concept of discussion than other members of this board.

Last edited by Sarge; 02 Sep 2012 at 22:20.
Old 02 Sep 2012, 22:22   #49995
The Flying Mouse

Quote:
I was exaggerating to make a point - but there is a large sycophantic element here in my opinion.
It's a fan club, what you gonna do

Quote:
Its a tough job I agree, but I'm not aware (but I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong) that anyone reports the overly sycophantic posts, but anything perceived to be critical tends to get pounced on or reported, and then deleted as a result.
Any report that we get is given even attention.
No matter who it's from, no matter what it's about.
If you have a valid case to make then we will look at it.

As i've said, if we recieived a report saying, in a logical and convincing manner, that to say Meat puts hard working artists like Elton John and Billy Joel to shame is disrespectful, I would tend to agree with that sentiment and delete/edit the post, and post on the thread asking for the thread to go a little more on topic.

I would personally find someone saying Meat is the best about as harmless, innocent, and ill meant as saying Andy Pryke is the greatest trib ever (I find nothing wrong with enthusiasm) but I would take the point on board and act on it accordingly.

No report = no point of view made to the mod team.
Old 02 Sep 2012, 22:33   #49996
The Flying Mouse

Quote:
I haven't blamed anything on anybody, it was you who referred to the deleted post.
Sorry, I assumed that the deleted post had prompted the discussion on this thread.
But then again, Assume makes an ass out of me and you

Quote:
I just stated my point of view on your action in response to your statements on this thread.
Sorry, you'll have to run that by me again.
What action of mine?

Quote:
As for the term "privilege" - let's say I obviously just have another concept of discussion than other members of this board.
But that discussion didn't belong in that thread, did it?
So when someone made the report, it was acted upon.

There seems to be a trend sometimes (perhaps it's just me ) that the more on topic the thread, the more off topic the rows get. Especially once Meat has posted in the thread. But that's one for the conspiracy sites I suppose.
Old 02 Sep 2012, 23:22   #49997
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
As i've said, if we recieived a report saying, in a logical and convincing manner, that to say Meat puts hard working artists like Elton John and Billy Joel to shame is disrespectful, I would tend to agree with that sentiment and delete/edit the post, and post on the thread asking for the thread to go a little more on topic.
It might be disrespectful but it's not violating forum rules (at least none that I'm aware of right now), hence I wouldn't report it. There's a huge difference between not liking / disagreeing with a post and a post not being in accordance with the rules.

Quote:
I find nothing wrong with enthusiasm
There's nothing wrong with thinking and/or saying that Meat Loaf is the greatest artist on earth. It's just not fair to say that particular other reputable artists are less hard-working, especially if these artists are not directly comparable to Meat Loaf. That was my point and I'm sure you're smart enough to get it.

Quote:
No report = no point of view made to the mod team.
You know my point of view, it was expressed in the post you erased. Again, I don't want the posts you refer to be deleted. I just disagreed with one or two sentences of the respective comments. I'm interested in why someone says what they say. That's why I posted the comment you eleminated. I won't get to know if I just hit the "report" button and/or request removal. Besides, that would be quite unfair to the poster, in my opinion.

I don't understand why you are that eager to continue this discussion by harping on the same things over and over. This is going nowhere and I'm not keen on wasting another Sunday night with silly arguments on this forum. I'm too old for this.

Last edited by Sarge; 02 Sep 2012 at 23:30.
Old 03 Sep 2012, 10:22   #49998
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Tired... need coffee... no, wait... I don't like coffee... Damn Mondays!
Old 03 Sep 2012, 10:28   #49999
melon
Long Distance Loafer

Try a guiness?
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2012, 10:44   #50000
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Not while having to work.