melon
Long Distance Loafer

Maybe Star Trek.... ha ha
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2013, 21:08   #6052
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Man of Steel.
Worst Superman movie in history. If you like constant CGI, 100% destruction, no character development, no setting establishment you'll love it.
Richard Donner knew what he was doing in 1978. The clowns who have made this mess have managed to put together the most forgettable and most boring piece of entertainment I've ever sat through. Loud and visually too overwhelming to comprehend.
Shame as I had high hopes for this. Bryan Singer's Superman Returns is miles better even.

I walked out of Ghostrider 2, Transformers 2 and would have done here as well had I been on my own but had a relatively nice outing with the family anyway.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2013, 22:14   #6053
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Worst Superman movie in history.
Worse than Superman IV?

Quote:
Bryan Singer's Superman Returns is miles better even.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2013, 23:03   #6054
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
Worse than Superman IV?
At least in that one it was interesting to see where in Milton Keynes it was filmed, mostly near the square at the train station.

No other Lex Luthor will be as good as Gene Hackman was playing it. Thought Kevin Spacey would be good in returns as he is a decent actor but thought he sucked and he got far too physical for my liking. But to be honest I'm no expert on comic books and perhaps the Donner films were more just what I liked rather than an authentic depiction.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 23:05   #6055
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Bryan Singer's Superman Returns is miles better even.

... SHUT ...UP

*scrap MoS from my watchlist*
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2013, 18:26   #6056
Cherry.Loaf
Los Angeloser

I never got the hate for Superman returns I'll be watching MOS in about 2 hours
Cherry.Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2013, 23:54   #6057
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Man Of Steel. A good solid 4 out of 5. Great cast, much better character development in terms of who they are and what drives them, a great modern update. The fight that ends the movie is spectacular and epic fun. Just needs a little more levity next time and the well constructed world of cause and effect kind of falls apart once the fight starts.

But the two hours just flew by and overall it was very good.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2013, 07:44   #6058
Adje
trying to be realistic

Life of Pi
Old 17 Jun 2013, 07:54   #6059
melon
Long Distance Loafer

Bolt

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Forum Runner
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 17 Jun 2013, 09:27   #6060
Cherry.Loaf
Los Angeloser

Really enjoyed Man of Steel answered a lot of questions I had and was a great way to spend Father's day.
Old 17 Jun 2013, 19:13   #6061
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry.Loaf View Post
Really enjoyed Man of Steel answered a lot of questions I had and was a great way to spend Father's day.
Like are we alone in the universe?
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2013, 20:08   #6062
Cherry.Loaf
Los Angeloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicLord View Post
Like are we alone in the universe?
Like why he wore an S on his chest; as much of a geek as I am (and proud of it!) I don't know a lot about Superman
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 17 Jun 2013, 21:48   #6063
AndrewG

Quote:
Like why he wore an S on his chest; as much of a geek as I am (and proud of it!) I don't know a lot about Superman
Those are just made up stories for this particular film rather than really giving you an explanation from the Superman universe.

Originally the S did mean S for Superman but that actually was given some more background story in the original (and in my opinion FAR, Far, far superior) Superman film from 1978. Subsequent comics have used it as well.

Originally he got his costume from materials from Krypton which Martha Kent put together so again David S. Goyer is just making some shit up here.
He was never a fisherman. He actually had a degree in journalism and thus got the job at the Daily Planet and THAT's how he met Lois Lane. Man of Steel completely twists this around to the point it doesn't really make sense.

But alas the film certainly entertained a lot of people by the looks of it but I am quite flabbergasted by the approach they have taken here. I am probably getting old but so much CGI I think really isn't interesting. I truly detest what they have done.
Old 17 Jun 2013, 22:07   #6064
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Originally the S did mean S for Superman but that actually was given some more background story in the original (and in my opinion FAR, Far, far superior) Superman film from 1978. Subsequent comics have used it as well.
I said it before and I will say it again. If Donner had been given the oportunity to finish his Superman saga there wouldn't have been a reason for other Superman movies today! Superman was brilliant (eventhough Donner had to use the original ending for Superman II) and Superman II could have been equally brilliant
Old 17 Jun 2013, 22:09   #6065
Cherry.Loaf
Los Angeloser

Quote:
Those are just made up stories for this particular film rather than really giving you an explanation from the Superman universe.

Originally he got his costume from materials from Krypton which Martha Kent put together so again David S. Goyer is just making some shit up here.
He was never a fisherman. He actually had a degree in journalism and thus got the job at the Daily Planet and THAT's how he met Lois Lane. Man of Steel completely twists this around to the point it doesn't really make sense.

But alas the film certainly entertained a lot of people by the looks of it but I am quite flabbergasted by the approach they have taken here. I am probably getting old but so much CGI I think really isn't interesting. I truly detest what they have done.
Personally I've enjoyed every superman film/series (apart from Smallville which was God awful imo)/comic I've seen because I like to see the different aspect of him they choose to highlight. I absolutely loved seeing Krypton and seeing Jor El and Lara I felt it fleshed out that part of his life exceptionally well. Henry Cavil was superb imo and I really enjoyed seeing Lois Lane do something other than be saved every two minute. The bit I most enjoyed is that they didn't rush in and push a love story on us.
Old 17 Jun 2013, 22:18   #6066
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post
I said it before and I will say it again. If Donner had been given the oportunity to finish his Superman saga there wouldn't have been a reason for other Superman movies today!
Well I think it's true the best has already been done with it. But still I thought this might be watchable to some degree. I thought it wasn't. You should go see it and see what you think for yourself.

The problem is that DC Comics and Marvel are going mental. They are trying to fast track Man of Steel 2 for late next year or 2015. A Justice League movie thereafter as well (Batman again with Superman and introducing Wonder woman and Flash), a full Wonder Woman movie, probably a full The Flash movie and even Aquaman (!) Marvel: Avengers 2, Thor 2, Captain America 2, Spiderman 2, 3 and even 4, Fantastic Four, Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man (!).
All those in the space of less than 5 years whilst we also get Star Wars episode 7 and 2 Avatar sequels. If I was working on a film I'd make sure it wasn't released in 2015 that's for sure.

I think Spielberg and Lucas are correct. Hollywood is going to implode very soon. $250 million movies are unsustainable at this level I think. I think they need to go back to basics and spend less money on hiring an army of computers to make things completely ridiculous. I thought that's exactly what they did well with The Dark Knight trilogy (although somehow they still managed to spend that much money on the films, it certainly didn't go towards visual fx). Now DC Comics is turning things towards the ridiculous shiny Marvel computer animated world. But hey what do I know? If people want this type of stuff it will get made I guess.

Last edited by AndrewG; 17 Jun 2013 at 22:29.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 10:58   #6067
TheDoode

Andrew, the Superman backstory has been recreated so many different times within the comics that you'd have to back to the golden age to get to the 'original' origin. Even the Donner films take massive liberties with that (and I grew up with those films).

As for Man of Steel - thought it was great. The Krypton bit at the beginning was maybe unnecessary, and it felt like there could've been a little more in the way of dialogue with Kal/Clark in certain scenes, but it has definitely done the job that Superman Returns didn't do in 2006.

Superman's origins have been constantly reiterated and adapted in the comics, I don't see why film should be any different. Unless you want a carbon copy of the Donner films (or no Superman films at all...).
TheDoode is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 23 Jun 2013, 23:50   #6068
Adje
trying to be realistic

A Haunted House (The Marlon Wayans movie) - Don't think I had a real laugh. Too predictable.

Mermaids: The Body Found - Actually a pretty entertaining mocumentary from Discovery Channel
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 00:35   #6069
wolfy35
Dangerous on a full moon

Monsters University
wolfy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2013, 08:21   #6070
Hypnobabe
mszee's Mistress with sexy goddess boots

Paul, then The Astronaut's Wife...
Hypnobabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2013, 16:15   #6071
AndyK
Relentless

Argo.

Brilliantly filmed, capturing the tension of the events perfectly. Haven't watched any of the other possible Oscar of BAFTA contenders that Argo beat to the titles this year, but can see why this won.
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2013, 21:51   #6072
Yevonda
Super Loafer

Black Dog - Just watched it Tuesday night. I had never seen this movie. It was better than I anticipated. Meat's character was pretty funny in it. I need to see more of his movies. I have only seen a handful of them.
Yevonda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 21:53   #6073
Yevonda
Super Loafer

Quote:
I am a proud nerd as well and I know nothing about Superman. I never really got into this character. Then again I do not read comic books so that might be why I never followed Superman.
Yevonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2013, 00:02   #6074
Jayd
If I could bust into hell....... I would

Olympus Has Fallen

World War Z
Jayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jul 2013, 20:01   #6075
Adje
trying to be realistic

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters