Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 28 Jul 2009, 20:36   #776
daveake
200% is the new 110%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
If we don't appreciate what he offers us, support can consist of withholding judgement until the record comes out.
Couldn't agree less. How can it be supportive to lie by silence? How is it supportive to wait till the album is out and then say "by the way, I always thought that track was crap"?

I'm not, btw, saying that the snippet is crap, let alone extrapolating that 15 seconds to imply anything about the album. I'm simply saying that keep one's opinions to oneself is not supportive and not in fact helpful.

Dave
daveake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 20:36   #777
allrevvedup
"Most things that i worry about, never happen anyway"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2006 View Post

And I think what we got from the video was maybe 1/30th of an Apple Pie - enough for a tantalising quick taste of the pie, leaving you wanting more, but not enough to decide whether you like the pie as a whole.
another nice analogy
allrevvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 21:10   #778
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
So are we his friends or not?
Didn't know that you're "friends" with someone just because you're interested in their music. So I'm friends with Billy Joel, Keith Richards, Neil Young, Bob Seger, Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen...? Wow, I wasn't aware of having so many rock star friends.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 21:21   #779
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Didn't know that you're "friends" with someone just because you're interested in their music. So I'm friends with Billy Joel, Keith Richards, Neil Young, Bob Seger, Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen...? Wow, I wasn't aware of having so many rock star friends.
thats great
nikox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 21:27   #780
RadioMaster
The German

Quote:
Good friends are brutally honest when it matters, and give simple support when that's called for, and are able to tell the difference.

And by "support" I don't mean lying, but showing appreciation for what's being shared in the same spirit as it's offered. If we don't appreciate what he offers us, support can consist of withholding judgement until the record comes out.

-Kathy
I dont think anybody on the forum is not appreciating the clip(s) Meat is sharing. It is just natural that people have an opinion and share it as well. If I think something isnt great, I can still appreciate it. Btw it's the bit of music that some people dislike, it's not the videos temselves, which is a huge difference.

When Meat goes to public places like twitter and mlukfc, whose only purpose is to discuss things and share opinions, how can he expect people to not build an opinion when they see an extraordinary video like that? (And a singer letting a camera into the recording booth IS somethign extraordinary.)
RadioMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 21:34   #781
nikox1
Mega Loafer

well its got people talking!!
Old 28 Jul 2009, 21:44   #782
allrevvedup

for 32 pages...
Old 28 Jul 2009, 21:46   #783
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrevvedup View Post
for 32 pages...
,, cheap promo
Old 28 Jul 2009, 21:51   #784
suzieq
Mega Loafer

Hello everyone, new to posting but I have read through this thread and it's developments.

I'm going to dive right in to the big topic with the "15" second clip is obviously controversial but reading all the posts, I don't think Meat is real worried about potential new fans making or breaking a decision to listen to him/become a fan based on a 15 second clip. I say this because he said that he put up the vocal off the cuff, not wanting it to be judged. But thought about it enough where he had 3 takes on the thing and Do you think Meat would've let a crap vocal (in his opinion) tweet out?

IMO, the inclusion of us witnessing a project is special. I look forward to the near daily tweets (his schedule permitting) as his masterpiece unfolds. My first reaction to the clip was, FINALLY a Meat vocal. He could have sung the David, David, oh David song again....and I didn't really care what came out of his mouth because it was just MEAT. Pre-audio..before you hit play....it's just him with the phones on, in front of a mic and you can assume he's going to give you a vocal. Post-audio it left me wanting more lyrics and wondering about the accompanying music. Because Meat is unpredictable, I never know where he's going to take me emotionally. It's just Meat singing which makes for a great day!

Opinion is powerful like a post or two above me have stated. An off the chart positive opinion can look just as bad as a negative one. Better fan? Positive one or the negative one? or the honest or positive? Are we saying that honesty also has to entail negativity? or Are we saying positive comments cannot be honest? Just something to think about. This is not a contest more like a difference in points of view and seems like a topic we won't have an answer to.

Meat's latest tweet skit is powerful too. How do you know the pie is going to suck? Because Meat is using the wrong apples.....not as the recipe calls for? Who would know if you haven't tried it with the crust and brown sugar? It just made Paul, look like a jackass. (and I know Paul was a character in the plot; he's a really sweet guy in person).

On the flip side, I did clearly read that those that formed a negative opinion of the vocal, also stated that they would have to hear the whole thing.

Quote:

No, you're not a saboteur/detractor if you don't like the six bars, but if you say so, you are throwing cold water on Meat, who was only sharing a little bit of his creative process with us. He wasn't looking for our opinions or creative input, he was sharing some of his excitement with us, just as he might share with friends. He is undoubtedly giving and getting all kinds of criticism about the album among the other artists working on it with him. But we are not in that group!! He has every right to expect his friends to be positive for him, it's as simple as that.
I agree.

So we can argue if Meat gave us apples, meatballs & sauce, oranges, or 15 seconds of a process to try. Meat has explained his position and above all else we need to respect that position. He wants us to form an opinion on the album as a whole when it is released. As well as, save the constructive criticisms for now because we aren't part of THAT group. Have fun and lighten up. Seems like reasonable requests.

Maybe all the hype here will at the very least make people think about what they post and maybe chill out arguing with Meat or trying to get a response out of him. The topic has obviously been bothering him to the point of addressing and rebutting. It's a real pleasure to see the creative juices flow and witness it. The suckie part is that the minority won't take the hint and may spoil it for the majority.

Until next tweet,
Suzieq
suzieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 22:04   #785
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieq View Post
Hello everyone, new to posting but I have read through this thread and it's developments.

I'm going to dive right in to the big topic with the "15" second clip is obviously controversial but reading all the posts, I don't think Meat is real worried about potential new fans making or breaking a decision to listen to him/become a fan based on a 15 second clip. I say this because he said that he put up the vocal off the cuff, not wanting it to be judged. But thought about it enough where he had 3 takes on the thing and Do you think Meat would've let a crap vocal (in his opinion) tweet out?

IMO, the inclusion of us witnessing a project is special. I look forward to the near daily tweets (his schedule permitting) as his masterpiece unfolds. My first reaction to the clip was, FINALLY a Meat vocal. He could have sung the David, David, oh David song again....and I didn't really care what came out of his mouth because it was just MEAT. Pre-audio..before you hit play....it's just him with the phones on, in front of a mic and you can assume he's going to give you a vocal. Post-audio it left me wanting more lyrics and wondering about the accompanying music. Because Meat is unpredictable, I never know where he's going to take me emotionally. It's just Meat singing which makes for a great day!

Opinion is powerful like a post or two above me have stated. An off the chart positive opinion can look just as bad as a negative one. Better fan? Positive one or the negative one? or the honest or positive? Are we saying that honesty also has to entail negativity? or Are we saying positive comments cannot be honest? Just something to think about. This is not a contest more like a difference in points of view and seems like a topic we won't have an answer to.

Meat's latest tweet skit is powerful too. How do you know the pie is going to suck? Because Meat is using the wrong apples.....not as the recipe calls for? Who would know if you haven't tried it with the crust and brown sugar? It just made Paul, look like a jackass. (and I know Paul was a character in the plot; he's a really sweet guy in person).

On the flip side, I did clearly read that those that formed a negative opinion of the vocal, also stated that they would have to hear the whole thing.

I agree.

So we can argue if Meat gave us apples, meatballs & sauce, oranges, or 15 seconds of a process to try. Meat has explained his position and above all else we need to respect that position. He wants us to form an opinion on the album as a whole when it is released. As well as, save the constructive criticisms for now because we aren't part of THAT group. Have fun and lighten up. Seems like reasonable requests.

Maybe all the hype here will at the very least make people think about what they post and maybe chill out arguing with Meat or trying to get a response out of him. The topic has obviously been bothering him to the point of addressing and rebutting. It's a real pleasure to see the creative juices flow and witness it. The suckie part is that the minority won't take the hint and may spoil it for the majority.

Until next tweet,
Suzieq
well for a first post [ pretty impressive ]
i agree mostly with the last part [ it bothers meat ] for the reasons he only knows? but everybodys different [ and i agree some people just want a reaction ] the new album will sound the way its gonna sound? time will tell?
the tweets have been great and lets hope for more
Old 28 Jul 2009, 22:05   #786
Sue K
Mega Loafer

Default oh no... not again for the umpteenth year .. hahaha

y'all have made me hungry ... so ... i'm off for a mid-afternoon snack ...

but no worries ... i'll stay slim and trim by laughing my arse off... hahaha...

tink ... in accord with Caryl's Volkswagen cliche' .. hahaha... ...
Sue K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 22:45   #787
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

That's the first post of Tink in which I have seen two dotts in a row .. instead of the three...
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 23:15   #788
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...

Damn some people say I take things too seriously

Has threatened earlier, I'm going to use my Chinese takeaway analogy For all those who have a rod up their ass, this is just a bit of fun, you might not find it funny, but hey, I wouldn't either if I had a rod up my ass

Imagine you've ordered a set meal for 4 and one of those dishes is sweet & sour chicken, the Chinese cook then offers you a piece of the chicken before the sauce has been added. Anyone who has ever worked in a chinese (I have) knows that the battered chicken on its own tastes pretty horrible but you add the vegetables and sauce and it's quite nice.

Meat offered a small piece of battered chicken and to me it tasted fowl (<--- a play on word ) that doesn't mean I'm not going to like the sweet & sour chicken when it's complete, nor does it mean I'm not going to like the other dishes in my set meal for 4. It does mean though that if I like my set meal for 4, then I'm definitely going to be going back to the chinese wanting some more.

For those who are easily confused:
Sweet & Sour Chicken = the whole song
Battered Chicken from a sweet & sour dish = the clip that was played.
Set meal for 4 = the whole album
And Meat is the Chinese cook

BTW: every Chinese in the UK I've been to and here in NZ, batter their chicken. Hmmmm, that sounds like a rude euphemism but it's true
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 23:35   #789
daveake
200% is the new 110%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding View Post
As threatened earlier, I'm going to use my Chinese takeaway analogy ...
For a moment, I thought you were going to say something like "You know there's meat in it, but you're never quite sure what kind of meat". But fortunately you didn't
daveake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 23:54   #790
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveake View Post
Couldn't agree less. How can it be supportive to lie by silence? How is it supportive to wait till the album is out and then say "by the way, I always thought that track was crap"?

I'm not, btw, saying that the snippet is crap, let alone extrapolating that 15 seconds to imply anything about the album. I'm simply saying that keep one's opinions to oneself is not supportive and not in fact helpful.

Dave
And in time one gets to know how somebody one likes will react to negative comments/opinions .. and IF you like them you take account of that in the method of comunication and language you use so that your view CAN be helpful .. and sometime keep your own counsel, for to not express an uninvited critique is not to lie, but merely to keep your thoughts to yourself.

Some of the comments posted here on this occasion were pretty negative, neither supportive nor helpful, and could be wholly anticipated by those who post here to evoke the reaction they did, because they have done time and time again .. but perhaps they were made precisely because of that.

Caryl

Last edited by CarylB; 29 Jul 2009 at 00:03.
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2009, 00:01   #791
carole
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieq View Post

I agree.

Until next tweet,
Suzieq
Welcome Suzie, great to see you here, very well said and I agree. I felt the same way when we finally got to hear Meat's vocals and he didn't disappoint and left me wanting more.

Carole
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2009, 00:05   #792
allrevvedup

but there is from one extreme to another

while some go a little bit over the top in negativity which sets off the positivity, others can go over the top in positivity which can set off the negativity.

So you have a vicious circle and then those who are in the middle can be labelled as being negative because they haven't agreed with the overly positive side.

I think there's room for all sides...but for as much as those who are being advised to not react negatively but to think about what they post, the same can be said for those who rise to the bait against the negative posts.

Take a breath, re read what is being said and then decide if there's a need to post
Old 29 Jul 2009, 00:18   #793
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Any pizza left?
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2009, 00:30   #794
allrevvedup

if there is it's very very cold...
Old 29 Jul 2009, 00:42   #795
cowboy
Loafer

cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2009, 00:49   #796
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrevvedup View Post
but there is from one extreme to another

while some go a little bit over the top in negativity which sets off the positivity, others can go over the top in positivity which can set off the negativity.

So you have a vicious circle and then those who are in the middle can be labelled as being negative because they haven't agreed with the overly positive side.
That's true. It's like the Conservative Republicans, you're either with them all the way or you'll be branded a socialist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Any pizza left?
We're onto Chinese now and Meats' battered chicken
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2009, 00:57   #797
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Any pizza left?
was buy one get one free, so yeah
twas gorgeous though
time for bed
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2009, 01:04   #798
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Lookie here is that a smile? Meat is that a smile?

awwwwwwww lookie here! the little squirt is smiling.

Aint he just adorible?

Goochie goo

PS: great to see you smiling! I'm sucking up and it feeeels SOOO GOOD! me love pop tarts. yumyumyum
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2009, 01:25   #799
Kathy
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding View Post
We're onto Chinese now and Meats' battered chicken
And I still want pie for dessert!

saving a tree here:

to Dave:
Keeping silent is not lying, lol! It would only be supportive to say it's crap now if you thought Meat was so interested in your opinion he might go back and change the song because of it. After the album comes out, you can say it's crap, but Meat will be off working on something else and won't give a flying fig <--- that's a new fruit for our discussion :)

But since you're not saying the clip is crap, I guess this is all moot?

to Sarge:
What I said was "he was sharing some of his excitement with us, just as he might share with friends." Do all those people you named share live clips of themselves making an album? Meat did, which was an unusual (and friendly!) thing to do.

to Pudding:
oh no, not more food, I am trying to stay on a diet, but I do follow your analogy, and even smiled at it, rod or no BUT there's a difference: no Chinese cook would offer a piece of the plain battered chicken (it's not salted so it's way too bland). Meat had more reason to be proud of his clip, and wouldn't have offered it if he hadn't thought we would like it.

I have to admit though I thought it was cute that you pointed out that Meat had a bowl of eating, not baking, apples (most guys wouldn't have a clue) and liked Meat's reply as well, that that was all he had :) So thank you both for that :)

-Kathy
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2009, 02:30   #800
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Great analogy Pudding - if I may steal it and extend it a little... by the way, the following bits are not aimed at you in particular Pud, just general comments...

Meat (as you say) is the Chinese chef.
This here website is the Chinese chef's fan club site.
We who visit this website are therefore people who profess to be fans of the Chinese food provided by this particular Chinese chef.
It is therefore no surprise that when the Chinese chef serves us a tantalising morsel of his new dish, which he is very proud and excited about, and people criticise the cooking, the Chinese chef gets upset.

This is not good for anyone, as your chicken may be merely sour when it arrives rather than also sweet, causing you to choke on it.

Also, the future may hold less chicken for all of us, as the Chef may be reluctant to keep on introducing new dishes if they are not well received.

Now, I am not saying everyone has to say they love every new dish the Chef produces, but I think it would be nice if all us customers and fans of the Chef remembered that the Chef is here "in person", giving us very unique and special appetisers of something he is very excited and passionate about, and we therefore should take his feelings into account when phrasing our feedback. This is, after all, a very public feedback forum.

If someone could pm me some Ibuprofen, that would be lovely. Nighty night.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote