Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 15 Sep 2009, 21:30   #1226
hurricana
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by florence75015 View Post
Nothing "bad" can come from a man who sings with so much passion.
Except that he can make us cry sometimes when moving us so deeply. Let's call them "Happy Tears"

Florence
It's true and I believe that if someone think the contrary it's because he doesn't like really ML' s music !

Annie
hurricana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2009, 22:27   #1227
evil nickname

Well, in that case I don't really like Meat's music. Thanks for pointing that out for me. That's another album I won't be buying then...
evil nickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2009, 23:08   #1228
daveake
200% is the new 110%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricana View Post
It's true and I believe that if someone think the contrary it's because he doesn't like really ML' s music !

Annie
Nonsense.

No-one's perfect. Meat isn't perfect. Meat will happily admit he's not perfect. Meat will admit that MATLAF wasn't, let's say, his finest hour (I'm being kind here). Realising this doesn't make someone not a "real fan" or mean that they don't like "Meat's music". On the contrary, anyone who thinks that all of Meat's stuff is perfect is someone who doesn't have a good grip of reality.

Dave
daveake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2009, 23:51   #1229
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil nickname View Post
Well, in that case I don't really like Meat's music. Thanks for pointing that out for me. That's another album I won't be buying then...
you can join west lifes fan club so!!!!!
nikox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2009, 00:04   #1230
florence75015
Senior Loafer

Nobody said that Meat's music is perfect, which of course would be untrue as perfection doesn't exist and therefore can't be reached.
All of his songs are not equal in quality, that's obvious, and some people may love one particular song while others don't.

But an artist, and a man, who devotes himself to his work with so much passion, deserves the greatest respect.

Florence
florence75015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2009, 02:09   #1231
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Indeed he does, but that is not what was said on the previous page.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2009, 08:47   #1232
glockenspiel
Senior Loafer

Default Meat bad and good

FWIW, here's my melded-together version of a number of critical reviews (favourable and unfavourable) -

"The song titles alone would be enough to put most singers off. But Meat Loaf interprets, emotes, and inhabits them. Principal songwriter and all-round svengali is Jim Steinman, who has a penchant for orchestral flourishes, choral rhapsodies and wayward metaphors.
Think The Rocky Horror Show, combined with Vegas-Era Elvis, and what Wagner would have sounded like ~ if he had ever ridden around on a large motorbike, courting ladies in his favourite frilly shirt.
It's somehow beside the point to complain about the puerile lyrics, the leaden rhythms, the derivative melodies, the histrionic vocals, or the overblown arrangements. Steinman, and his co-conspirator Todd Rundgren, knew exactly how to push our soft-rock buttons, and, with Mister Loaf up at the front, they whacked those buttons with a sledgehammer.
Meat Loaf on a good day is uniquely hilarious: the epic rock hero consoling his lover with, "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad". The power of this human mountain is such that he can also shiver your timbers, booming out such nonsense seemingly with utter sincerity. You laugh till you cry ~ and then realise you were crying for real.
None of this would be funny, however, if Loaf were not so ridiculous-looking. He's decidedly roly-poly, unsteady on his pins, and struts the stage hollering randomly like a toddler in a tantrum. When he reaches for the high notes, you feel like chucking him a laxative.What you're really laughing at is neither his show-boating nor the tongue-twisting material: it's his unseemliness as a rock star.
And what's sad is not the melodrama of the songs, but that of Meat's own predicament. He's still on the scene today, still singing, or, more often, bellowing and wheezing his way through "All Revved Up" ~ whilst hunched over in a schoolboy's baseball jacket. At the end, he will beat his chest in glory. The joke's still on him: he's just making money out of letting people laugh at the lonely fat weirdo the song describes. It's completely preposterous ~ but oddly hard to dislike".
glockenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2009, 09:23   #1233
hurricana
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveake View Post
Nonsense.

No-one's perfect. Meat isn't perfect. Meat will happily admit he's not perfect. Meat will admit that MATLAF wasn't, let's say, his finest hour (I'm being kind here). Realising this doesn't make someone not a "real fan" or mean that they don't like "Meat's music". On the contrary, anyone who thinks that all of Meat's stuff is perfect is someone who doesn't have a good grip of reality.

Dave
je n'ai jamais dis que ML était parfait, j'ai dis qu'il était perfectionniste nuance !!
De même, j'ai voulu exprimer le fait que lorsque on aime vraiment un artiste même s'il nous arrive de penser que ce qu'il a fait n'est pas génial on ne peut pas trouver ça totalement mauvais car quand on aime on trouve toujours une excuse..

Then I'm sorry but I master very baddly english language and maybe my comments are not well interpreted !!

Now, everybody can think what he want isn't it ?

Annie @
hurricana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2009, 10:08   #1234
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockenspiel View Post
FWIW, here's my melded-together version of a number of critical reviews (favourable and unfavourable) -

"The song titles alone would be enough to put most singers off. But Meat Loaf interprets, emotes, and inhabits them. Principal songwriter and all-round svengali is Jim Steinman, who has a penchant for orchestral flourishes, choral rhapsodies and wayward metaphors.
Think The Rocky Horror Show, combined with Vegas-Era Elvis, and what Wagner would have sounded like ~ if he had ever ridden around on a large motorbike, courting ladies in his favourite frilly shirt.
It's somehow beside the point to complain about the puerile lyrics, the leaden rhythms, the derivative melodies, the histrionic vocals, or the overblown arrangements. Steinman, and his co-conspirator Todd Rundgren, knew exactly how to push our soft-rock buttons, and, with Mister Loaf up at the front, they whacked those buttons with a sledgehammer.
Meat Loaf on a good day is uniquely hilarious: the epic rock hero consoling his lover with, "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad". The power of this human mountain is such that he can also shiver your timbers, booming out such nonsense seemingly with utter sincerity. You laugh till you cry ~ and then realise you were crying for real.
None of this would be funny, however, if Loaf were not so ridiculous-looking. He's decidedly roly-poly, unsteady on his pins, and struts the stage hollering randomly like a toddler in a tantrum. When he reaches for the high notes, you feel like chucking him a laxative.What you're really laughing at is neither his show-boating nor the tongue-twisting material: it's his unseemliness as a rock star.
And what's sad is not the melodrama of the songs, but that of Meat's own predicament. He's still on the scene today, still singing, or, more often, bellowing and wheezing his way through "All Revved Up" ~ whilst hunched over in a schoolboy's baseball jacket. At the end, he will beat his chest in glory. The joke's still on him: he's just making money out of letting people laugh at the lonely fat weirdo the song describes. It's completely preposterous ~ but oddly hard to dislike".
you should do self promotion!!10 ways to make an artist feel good!!
your big, your fat, you can no longer hit a note, you wheez, you walk funny, your a weirdo, i bet meat cant wait to book you
i know what your trying to come across with [ but you need to take your head out of the books ]
nikox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2009, 12:16   #1235
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Shamedly, it's easy to find negative comment or damning with faint praise from members of the UK press, no doubt chortling at their self-perceived cleverness, some of whom clearly did not even bother to get themselves to the show they "reviewed" as they included songs which Meat didn't perform .. However this collection does include my favourite bizarre offering which included "The joke's still on him".

That after more than 30 years Meat continues to sell out 12-20K arenas whenever he tours, not just with baby boomers but with an audience of all ages ... who it's true laugh with him at the character he creates in Paradise, but are moved, excited, transported by every song he performs, and stand to cheer and whistle and beg him to return for more at the end of the show .. is I guess a phenomenon that our journalist critics find hard to understand; but any "joke" is on them as he lights another, now metaphorical, cigar.

So much easier to criticise than create .. but thankfully Meat still creates, still entertains magnificently, still enthralls with his performance. That's his enduring magic, and there's nothing "sad" about it at all. Many critics would be delighted, and lucky, to have his "predicament" of being a superstar, "still on the scene", and so enduringly successful and popular after so many years. Few people don't recognise his name .. how many know the names of the various critics who tear him down?

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2009, 15:12   #1236
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockenspiel View Post
FWIW, here's my melded-together version of a number of critical reviews (favourable and unfavourable)[...]
Now I know what an university degree in philology is good for, LOL. Texts like that are one of the reasons why I stopped reading magazines like Rolling Stone. Music is more a matter of the heart than of the intellect, in my opinion. You have to feel it. I think I've quoted this before: "You can't get the sound from a story in a magazine" (from a Billy Joel song).
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2009, 17:33   #1237
glockenspiel
Senior Loafer

Default comments etc

It wasn't meant to be damning or negative ~ It all goes into the mix into what makes Meat such an irresistable force of nature, and irreplacable artiste.
glockenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2009, 21:27   #1238
dukesofhazard
Super Loafer

So.... back to Meat Loaf on Twitter. How come no twits this week yet?
dukesofhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2009, 21:54   #1239
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesofhazard View Post
How come no twits this week yet?
You called!
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2009, 23:01   #1240
RSG
Mega Loafer

Last weeks tweeter, or twitter was a great post
Quite honestly, I know I will play any more that make its way onto the web. I really want to try and avoid hearing them because I wanna wait for the album. I just have no self control!
RSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2009, 08:56   #1241
allrevvedup
"Most things that i worry about, never happen anyway"

Was listening to a song by Halestorm called Better Sorry Than Safe and thought it'd be something Meat would do a great version of for the new album

Before anyone asks i realise the vocalist in the song is female and she definitely has to be seen live to be believed.
allrevvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2009, 18:30   #1242
glamourgirl
Super Loafer

I love the Twitter updates. I hope this new cd includes a "Making of the album" dvd like they included with the Bat III cd. (And this time, include Patti in the dvd and promo.)
glamourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2009, 21:01   #1243
RSG
Mega Loafer

that brings me to a question.the 10 minute making of the monster video on youtube. is that the same one on TMIL's double disc DVD?
Old 17 Sep 2009, 21:36   #1244
Sarge
Mega Loafer

It's slightly different in the beginning but all in all it's the same, as far as I remember.

---

Edit: I just realized why the video on my DVD is a little different from the one on YouTube. The YouTube video was apparently made for the U.S. market since it says "Tenth Street Entertainment & Virgin Records Present". My DVD was released by Mercury, so it says "Tenth Street Entertainment & Mercury Music Group Present". It also lacks the cemetary scene with the gravestones in the intro. Aside from these minor differences it seems to be the same video.

By the way, on the 3 Bats Live DVD (Collector's Edition) Child's statement "Meat Loaf is a very complicated person" appears as a subtitle, too. I have neither seen that in the YouTube video nor on the Bat Out Of Hell III CD/DVD set.

Last edited by Sarge; 17 Sep 2009 at 22:33.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 23:32   #1245
RSG
Mega Loafer

I just find it strange because there is a video with Meat and Jennifer Hudson singing together. Why leave something actually special out on the DVD. If it is the same on youtube as it is on the DVD, editors must have trouble with kepping their hands of the knobs! <-- Twitter reference,
Old 19 Sep 2009, 00:57   #1246
suzieq
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesofhazard View Post
So.... back to Meat Loaf on Twitter. How come no twits this week yet?
Hmmm....must be busy with other things. I have to admit, I've missed seeing the tweets this week. Hopefully he'll have lots to say when he resumes tweeting.

Suzieq
suzieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2009, 02:53   #1247
Vickip
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieq View Post
Hmmm....must be busy with other things. I have to admit, I've missed seeing the tweets this week. Hopefully he'll have lots to say when he resumes tweeting.

Suzieq
I was thinking exactly the same thing Suzieq.
Vicki
Vickip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2009, 02:59   #1248
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSG View Post
I just find it strange because there is a video with Meat and Jennifer Hudson singing together. Why leave something actually special out on the DVD.
There are a couple of things that are strange about the Bat III promo. Don't know why Jennifer Hudson does not appear in the video. I actually don't remember her being mentioned at all when the album was promoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieq View Post
I have to admit, I've missed seeing the tweets this week. Hopefully he'll have lots to say when he resumes tweeting.
I haven't missed them. Not because I don't like them but because something that you get every day is not special anymore. I usually appreciate new stuff more after a break.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 04:39   #1249
suzieq
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post

I haven't missed them. Not because I don't like them but because something that you get every day is not special anymore. I usually appreciate new stuff more after a break.
Just wow. I couldn't disagree more when it comes to Meat's tweets. I consider any update special even though he's been consistently updating us almost daily. And I appreciate them greatly no matter when. I look forward to the end of my day to unwind and listen to what Meat had in store for the day. I guess I just enjoy the process to much and wonder what's coming next which has me looking for more tweets. I might add, Meat is also easy on the eyes of course.

Suzieq
suzieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2009, 11:55   #1250
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
There are a couple of things that are strange about the Bat III promo. Don't know why Jennifer Hudson does not appear in the video. I actually don't remember her being mentioned at all when the album was promoted.

Bat 3 was promoted? I have must have been ill that day

Anyhow, I'm loving the tweets, especially of course the song snippets, the more the merrier! I'm guessing they're aiming for a pre Christmas release - can't wait!
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote