Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Life » Off Topic

Old 12 Jul 2007, 15:20   #15501
LucyK!
The Monster Is Luce

I don't smoke so can't include tobacco as veg, and I don't drink beer so I can't count hops either...what about if I make sre I add lemon every time I have a gin and tonic?!

It's chocolate that's concerning me, but as I said to Andy, they're never stop me eating it - I'll fight them on the beaches!!!!!
LucyK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 15:21   #15502
samurai7
Rock Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszee View Post
Actually...no...for all the taxes we pay we have NOTHING to show for it...at least you guys get socialized health care and decent pension...where our health system is way out of control now and we're running out of money for pension....

And by the way...with us...cigs and fuel is true...but for some reason booze is ok...Cigarettes kill...and fuel pollutes...but apparently booze is harmless...
Yes, but work out how much more the cigs and fuel are over here. That's what I meant.
And by the time I get to retirement age, there'll be no money left in the pot for my generation. That's why it's imperitive that people of my age sort themselves out a private pension scheme. We do have the NHS, though, which despite its flaws is a God-send.
samurai7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 15:24   #15503
mszee
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knooby View Post
stop talking about food please
Which post you considered food post - coleslaw one or fags/beer ones?
mszee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 15:25   #15504
mszee
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy! View Post
I don't smoke so can't include tobacco as veg, and I don't drink beer so I can't count hops either...what about if I make sre I add lemon every time I have a gin and tonic?!

It's chocolate that's concerning me, but as I said to Andy, they're never stop me eating it - I'll fight them on the beaches!!!!!
Chocolate was found to be VERY VERY healthy...and this is not a joke...check some latest research....
Old 12 Jul 2007, 15:26   #15505
samurai7
Rock Star

wait, isn't chocolate derived from the cocoa tree? If that ain't vegetation, I dunno what is!

(I should have been a lawyer, lol!)
Old 12 Jul 2007, 15:27   #15506
mszee
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Meat Loaf View Post
Yes, but work out how much more the cigs and fuel are over here. That's what I meant.
And by the time I get to retirement age, there'll be no money left in the pot for my generation. That's why it's imperitive that people of my age sort themselves out a private pension scheme. We do have the NHS, though, which despite its flaws is a God-send.
Cigs I might agree with you...healthy fecking nation here...fuel - never...we have more SUV's than I've ever even seen in England on one highway...

I don't know what NHS is...

By the way...had a guest from over there and left him apparently permanently hungry...our health conscious eating habits would have probably killed your lot within a month or so...not that I love it either...
Old 12 Jul 2007, 15:27   #15507
LucyK!
The Monster Is Luce

Yeah there's meant to be something healthy in dark chocolate isn't there?

Still not sure we'll be able to justify the amount we eat though
Old 12 Jul 2007, 15:28   #15508
LucyK!
The Monster Is Luce

Quote:
wait, isn't chocolate derived from the cocoa tree? If that ain't vegetation, I dunno what is!

(I should have been a lawyer, lol!)
I always liked you, Sean...
Old 12 Jul 2007, 15:30   #15509
AndyK
Relentless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy! View Post
Yeah there's meant to be something healthy in dark chocolate isn't there?

Still not sure we'll be able to justify the amount we eat though

Who said we had to jusitfy it??????
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 15:31   #15510
mszee
Mega Loafer

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/heart.../chocolate.htm
Old 12 Jul 2007, 15:33   #15511
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

i dont think ive seen as sensible a conversation on this site for along long long time
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 15:34   #15512
mszee
Mega Loafer

Having said all of the above about American's "healthy eating habits"...I did enjoy my food in England...in a space of 5 days I've gained over 10 pounds which I can't seem to be able to shed now...but hey...I did enjoy it while it lasted...
Old 12 Jul 2007, 15:34   #15513
samurai7
Rock Star

Quote:
Cigs I might agree with you...healthy fecking nation here...fuel - never...we have more SUV's than I've ever even seen in England on one highway...

I don't know what NHS is...

By the way...had a guest from over there and left him apparently permanently hungry...our health conscious eating habits would have probably killed your lot within a month or so...not that I love it either...
you've misinterpreted me again. Yes, the US uses more fuel, but our fuel COSTS MORE. As in HIGHER PRICE. it's currently just under £5 a gallon, whereas in the States it's $2.90 or thereabouts. At the current exchange rate, this means that we pay almost THREE TIMES AS MUCH per gallon than you do. Now do you see what I mean? This is why we can't all afford the gas-guzzling SUV's that you guys love. It's not economically viable for anyone who's not in the higher wage brackets.

by the way, the NHS is the National Health Service.

(and PS - I don't live in England)
Old 12 Jul 2007, 15:34   #15514
mszee
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knooby View Post
i dont think ive seen as sensible a conversation on this site for along long long time
You think this is sensible?
Old 12 Jul 2007, 15:35   #15515
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

is that mark alexander online??
Old 12 Jul 2007, 15:38   #15516
mszee
Mega Loafer

Quote:
you've misinterpreted me again. Yes, the US uses more fule, but our fule COSTS MORE. As in HIGHER PRICE. it's currently just under £5 a gallon, whereas in the States it's $2.90 or thereabouts. At the current exchange rate, this means that we pay almost THREE TIMES AS MUCH per gallon than you do. Now do you see what I mean? This is why we can't all afford the gas-guzzling SUV's that you guys love. It's not economically viable for anyone who's not in the higher wage brackets.

by the way, the NHS is the National Health Service.
The fuel here now, unfortunately, is close to $4.- per gallon...

And with all this...there are STILL more SUV's on the road...weird...I drive Prius...so...on the other hand...I nearly drowned in flooding resulted from heavy rains yesterday with my Prius ...and while I was driving my economical car...I was chanting...

Next time...SUV...next time...SUV...

If you live in NY...you can get away without car...anywhere else in the States...you can't survive...the public transportation system is not developed anywhere but in NYC...so...there is no choice...even if you have to drive a jalopy...you still have to drive...

Thanks for explanation NHS...learning something every day...
Old 12 Jul 2007, 15:46   #15517
samurai7
Rock Star

Quote:
And with all this...there are STILL more SUV's on the road...weird...I drive Prius...so...on the other hand...I nearly drowned in flooding resulted from heavy rains yesterday with my Prius ...and while I was driving my economical car...I was chanting...

Next time...SUV...next time...SUV...

If you live in NY...you can get away without car...anywhere else in the States...you can't survive...the public transportation system is not developed anywhere but in NYC...so...there is no choice...even if you have to drive a jalopy...you still have to drive...

Thanks for explanation NHS...learning something every day...
$4 is still only about £2. And as far as your Prius is concerned - it's not as green as you'd think. You'd be far better off with a small turbo-diesel such as the VW Lupo that will do 75+ to the gallon. The US never seemed to get the grasp that diesel is more economical than petrol, and the Prius is an example of a car that even though its intentions are honest, is very expensive and not nearly as economical as it's made out to be. the first generation could manage 51 to the gallon. Most modern deisels do 60+
Old 12 Jul 2007, 15:52   #15518
mszee
Mega Loafer

Quote:
$4 is still only about £2. And as far as your Prius is concerned - it's not as green as you'd think. You'd be far better off with a small turbo-diesel such as the VW Lupo that will do 75+ to the gallon. The US never seemed to get the grasp that diesel is more economical than petrol, and the Prius is an example of a car that even though its intentions are honest, is very expensive and not nearly as economical as it's made out to be. the first generation could manage 51 to the gallon. Most modern deisels do 60+
Although price wise it's true...you have to compare apples to apples...i.e. cost of living and salaries...

Our rent/mortgage takes about 3 weeks of our monthly salary...and about one week for EVERYTHING else...nothing is easy...

We don't have VW Lupo and I don't think I've ever even seen it...our VW are VERY expensive...where as Prius...not so much...

And try to find diesel station here...good luck!!! The only car running on diesel here as far as I know is some old Mercedes models...otherwise...we just don't have those...

Hell...our President has interest in oil...do you think we will be running electric cars soon???
Old 12 Jul 2007, 16:00   #15519
samurai7
Rock Star

Quote:
Although price wise it's true...you have to compare apples to apples...i.e. cost of living and salaries...

Our rent/mortgage takes about 3 weeks of our monthly salary...and about one week for EVERYTHING else...nothing is easy...

We don't have VW Lupo and I don't think I've ever even seen it...our VW are VERY expensive...where as Prius...not so much...

And try to find diesel station here...good luck!!! The only car running on diesel here as far as I know is some old Mercedes models...otherwise...we just don't have those...

Hell...our President has interest in oil...do you think we will be running electric cars soon???
Lupo was just an example, there are other small cars that are very economical. Every mass-manufacturer will have a diesel version of its most popular cars. Current Ford diesel engines are excellent. But the reason the Diesel isn't widely available is the same as I stated before. In a country where oil is cheap (and despite your protests, it is) then there's no call for it. Diesels now make up a huge proportion of car sales in the UK. This is because for the same cost as petrol (or thereabouts) you get far more miles to the gallon. It doesn't take Einstein to work out that in the long run you're 'quids-in', as we Brits might or might not say :)

It is very difficult to persuade a country that is used to huge V8's that give tiny horsepower, and even less fuel efficiency, that small cars are the way forward. The Prius was the first step in the right direction, so hopefully the tide is turning.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 16:02   #15520
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

baab sucks
Old 12 Jul 2007, 16:05   #15521
mszee
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Lupo was just an example, there are other small cars that are very economical. Every mass-manufacturer will have a diesel version of its most popular cars. Current Ford diesel engines are excellent. But the reason the Diesel isn't widely available is the same as I stated before. In a country where oil is cheap (and despite your protests, it is) then there's no call for it. Diesels now make up a huge proportion of car sales in the UK. This is because for the same cost as petrol (or thereabouts) you get far more miles to the gallon. It doesn't take Einstein to work out that in the long run you're 'quids-in', as we Brits might or might not say :)

It is very difficult to persuade a country that is used to huge V8's that give tiny horsepower, and even less fuel efficiency, that small cars are the way forward. The Prius was the first step in the right direction, so hopefully the tide is turning.
I honestly don't know much about cars to have an intelligent conversation with...I am a woman after all...

However driving through the fecking rivers here yesterday...I was praying for deliverance and seriously thinking with longing about SUVs...it's not even about efficiency...we get floods and snow storms all the time...and in America...business is business...most businesses stay open in bad weather...and as before I wouldn't have EVER considered SUV...having this car only for a year now...I am seriously thinking about my safety in the future...
Old 12 Jul 2007, 16:07   #15522
firefly
Mega Loafer

Another one post Sean and you have hit the 1000!!!
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 16:08   #15523
samurai7
Rock Star

My 1000th post!

(I have far too much time on my hands )
Old 12 Jul 2007, 16:11   #15524
firefly
Mega Loafer

Quote: