Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 05 Feb 2010, 10:22   #1726
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
There was such an elevator (paternoster) at the university at which I studied. The building in which it was located does no longer exist. The videos make me a little nostalgic. I think there was an attempt to put all paternosters in Germany out of service a few years ago but it failed. Fortunately - otherwise we wouldn't have gotten those funny videos.
There was an incident which caused them to be taken out of service in the UK (back in the 80s I think) until safety features were fitted (I think that was with someone who rode it over the top .. something I don't think I'd do! I waited for one going in the direction I wanted!) We still have one in Sheffield Uni in the Arts building, quite big around 40 cars. Mainly they're installed here now for moving goods between floors, but I thought there was talk of a company designing one with doors? ... Not sure how that would work .. and spoils the fun really

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2010, 10:53   #1727
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickip View Post
Meat was saying that there was a picture of him with the radio DJ from 1978.
Thank you, I obviously did not listen attentively, I was very tired when I watched the videos. Heard "in front of this crazy elevator... from 1978", wasn't aware of that he was still referring to the pic. I'm getting old, LOL.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2010, 13:06   #1728
carole
Mega Loafer

Yeah I'm curious about which building he was in too.

Carole
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2010, 14:46   #1729
Vickip
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Thank you, I obviously did not listen attentively, I was very tired when I watched the videos. Heard "in front of this crazy elevator... from 1978", wasn't aware of that he was still referring to the pic. I'm getting old, LOL.
You're welcome You're not getting old ... I had to watch the video a few times myself to make sure that was right
Vickip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2010, 15:35   #1730
suzieq
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
There was an incident which caused them to be taken out of service in the UK (back in the 80s I think) until safety features were fitted (I think that was with someone who rode it over the top .. something I don't think I'd do! I waited for one going in the direction I wanted!) We still have one in Sheffield Uni in the Arts building, quite big around 40 cars. Mainly they're installed here now for moving goods between floors, but I thought there was talk of a company designing one with doors? ... Not sure how that would work .. and spoils the fun really

Caryl
I could see how someone's bright idea could land themselves in a world of pain. Mainly because so many people are lawsuit happy...I would never see this fly in the US (today or yesteryear). There are too many people who have to have "caution hot coffee" written on their cups, to take the stupidity factor to a whole new level. This elevator is a prime example of one man's floor is another man's ceiling.

Suzieq
suzieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2010, 17:06   #1731
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieq View Post
I could see how someone's bright idea could land themselves in a world of pain. Mainly because so many people are lawsuit happy...I would never see this fly in the US (today or yesteryear). There are too many people who have to have "caution hot coffee" written on their cups, to take the stupidity factor to a whole new level. This elevator is a prime example of one man's floor is another man's ceiling.

Suzieq
I agree re the USA .. I checked out of interest and it was in 1989, the paternoster in Newcastle University's Claremont Tower was taken out of service after a passenger undertaking an up-and-over journey became caught in the drive chain, and had to be rescued by the Fire Service. This led to the 18-month close-down of all UK paternosters for a safety review, during which additional safety devices were fitted.

At Sheffield one of the 50 top things to achieve whilst at university (I don't think getting a degree features on this list!) is apparently to have sex whilst going over the top in the lift in the Arts building .. which may explain what went wrong at Newcastle .. I think all of those still in service in the UK are now in buildings where they are used only by employees and students in universities

Caryl
Old 05 Feb 2010, 17:18   #1732
suzieq
Mega Loafer

Quote:
At Sheffield one of the 50 top things to achieve whilst at university (I don't think getting a degree features on this list!) is apparently to have sex whilst going over the top in the lift in the Arts building .. which may explain what went wrong at Newcastle ..
LMAO!!!!

suzieq
Old 05 Feb 2010, 22:06   #1733
carole
Mega Loafer

Quote:
I agree re the USA .. I checked out of interest and it was in 1989, the paternoster in Newcastle University's Claremont Tower was taken out of service after a passenger undertaking an up-and-over journey became caught in the drive chain, and had to be rescued by the Fire Service. This led to the 18-month close-down of all UK paternosters for a safety review, during which additional safety devices were fitted.

At Sheffield one of the 50 top things to achieve whilst at university (I don't think getting a degree features on this list!) is apparently to have sex whilst going over the top in the lift in the Arts building .. which may explain what went wrong at Newcastle .. I think all of those still in service in the UK are now in buildings where they are used only by employees and students in universities

Caryl
Ha ha, there's always gotta be someone!!!!!!!

Carole
Old 11 Feb 2010, 04:33   #1734
suzieq
Mega Loafer

I had time to reflect on the past two tweets. For clarification [in case he sneaks another one in before people read this post :) ]The one from Zurich with a room full of people and the one from exciting things happening.

The Zurich one had me looking for another tweet all day because he said, "I'll tell you later what we're doing." And I took that literally for the day. So thankfully that teaser tweet was satisfied by the exciting things happening tweet. Meat is pioneering another method of promo work. Kind of like a "private invitation viewing/listening experience" with the man behind the vision. I love this!!! How intimate and intricate. IF these are media critics (i.e. room full of people)...then it's absolute genius. Cut the critics balls off before the album even hits the shelf. Checkmate critics.

And IF this room full of people are movers and shakers in the business, then that too is a genius idea because he's captivated his market with a private experience just for them. A perfect set up for this album. Go get em' Meat. I love what angle Meat is coming from. How can they resist him? They simply can't.

I could be completely wrong and I'm okay with being wrong, but at the very least this is a very interesting form of promo Meat is definitely pioneering. I say, Go Meat Go!! Full support coming from me.

Suzieq
Old 11 Feb 2010, 07:23   #1735
carole
Mega Loafer

Quote:
I had time to reflect on the past two tweets. For clarification [in case he sneaks another one in before people read this post :) ]The one from Zurich with a room full of people and the one from exciting things happening.

The Zurich one had me looking for another tweet all day because he said, "I'll tell you later what we're doing." And I took that literally for the day. So thankfully that teaser tweet was satisfied by the exciting things happening tweet. Meat is pioneering another method of promo work. Kind of like a "private invitation viewing/listening experience" with the man behind the vision. I love this!!! How intimate and intricate. IF these are media critics (i.e. room full of people)...then it's absolute genius. Cut the critics balls off before the album even hits the shelf. Checkmate critics.

And IF this room full of people are movers and shakers in the business, then that too is a genius idea because he's captivated his market with a private experience just for them. A perfect set up for this album. Go get em' Meat. I love what angle Meat is coming from. How can they resist him? They simply can't.

I could be completely wrong and I'm okay with being wrong, but at the very least this is a very interesting form of promo Meat is definitely pioneering. I say, Go Meat Go!! Full support coming from me.

Suzieq
Well said Suzie, I agree, you make some good points. It certainly is interesting promo that Meat is doing.

Carole
Old 11 Feb 2010, 13:20   #1736
Fire Ball
Himself

What a great way of saying what I am doing. Much better at words than I am. That's why I only wirte a few lines per album. As you just did, I get writers to interpert story lines. If you know what I mean?

M

Quote:

Suzieq
Fire Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2010, 13:28   #1737
Kev
Just Kev

Just spotted your one about Jim! Tweet us an update when you have news please Meat :)
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2010, 13:44   #1738
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
What a great way of saying what I am doing. Much better at words than I am. That's why I only wirte a few lines per album. As you just did, I get writers to interpert story lines. If you know what I mean?

M
well there are not many [ if any ] artists out there that tweet or twitter every day like you do? so thats another reason you still rocking all these years! you have a great bond with your fans
nikox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2010, 14:17   #1739
evil nickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikox1 View Post
well there are not many [ if any ] artists out there that tweet or twitter every day like you do?
Yes, there are.
evil nickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2010, 14:27   #1740
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil nickname View Post
Yes, there are.
what post videos almost every day? yeah right
Old 11 Feb 2010, 14:33   #1741
roomster
Super Loafer

Quote:
what post videos almost every day? yeah right
Per Gessle as a solo-artist, and now working with a new Roxette-album have posted a LOT of videos. Both from studio-work and tour.
roomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2010, 14:39   #1742
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Quote:
well there are not many [ if any ] artists out there that tweet or twitter every day like you do? so thats another reason you still rocking all these years! you have a great bond with your fans
well there is not many that do? ok,
Old 11 Feb 2010, 15:04   #1743
Sarahdk23
Super Loafer

Im getting more and more exited every day about this new album! April cant get here fast enough
Sarahdk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2010, 15:27   #1744
Vickip
Mega Loafer

Quote:

M
I know exactly what you mean Meat, and the promo is a brilliant idea
Good luck !!
Vicki
Vickip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2010, 19:59   #1745
suzieq
Mega Loafer

Quote:

M
Well welcome back Fire Ball. Thank you for confirming my line of thinking and the compliment about words. I know what you mean about your written contributions to albums and story line interpretation but I guarantee you that you would mop the floor with me in history.

Suzieq
Old 11 Feb 2010, 20:29   #1746
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Promo idea sounds fantastic - forces the critics to actually listen to the album for one thing, gets the word out superbly, and who's going to tell Meat they don't like it to his face . Critics are likely to be positively disposed towards Meat at least for making the time and effort to see them and demo the album. Meat seems pleased with the responses so far, so this just makes me even more excited about the new album than ever!

Seriously though, this promo idea sounds phenomenal. I volunteer to be in the next UK group.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2010, 20:54   #1747
Ma.Ra
Trekkie

Quote:

M
Good evening Meat!

Please let me make an assumption: You have listed different cities (Amsterdam, Berlin) in your tweet after the "Zürich-tweet where you did the same kind of promotion. Could we expect that there will be higher chances for concerts in these cities?

Or have you talked to international press in Zürich and Zürich was just the easiest place to meet?

Damn, the Park Hyatt wasn't that far away. I need a sixth sense for that!
Ma.Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2010, 00:57   #1748
suzieq
Mega Loafer

With all the Jim commotion going on, I just want to say....dental work sux and I feel for you Meat. Your trademark gum is questionable for the BIG show I presume. Or just chew on the right is my advice. LOL.
Old 12 Feb 2010, 01:54   #1749
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
With all the Jim commotion going on, I just want to say....dental work sux and I feel for you Meat. Your trademark gum is questionable for the BIG show I presume. Or just chew on the right is my advice. LOL.
Ouch .. yes! What was it Bob Newhart used to say? It's the pain of getting the novocaine!! But Meat looks pretty chipper, and still maintaining humour with a Tweet!

Caryl
Old 12 Feb 2010, 04:43   #1750
Megan
Super Loafer

Quote:

M

Susieq ---- TOO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!
Megan is offline   Reply With Quote