mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts

Old 20 Sep 2005, 10:48   #1
rockfenris2005
Mega Loafer

Default Meat Loaf B-Sides

been collecting these lately (from all over the place) but I haven't been able to find their origins (of recording). Come Together sounds like it was recorded in 1983 and left off Midnight at the Lost and Found. Let it Be and Oh What a Beautiful Mornin' sound like outtakes from Welcome to the Neighborhood & Stand by Me sounds like it was taken in the Bat sessions (he has a similar-sounding voice to the one on Two Out of Three Ain't Bad: which was apparently sped up in some way). Anyone know for sure?

Some of them sound really crap, quality-wise, like studio demos that were never intended for release. R.P.M. on the Rock and Roll Mercenaries single takes the line about radio waves from Dance in my Pants (with the songwriting credits of John Golden and Meat Loaf). Wonder if that was meant to be on Blind? Haven't heard Take a Number: but Clap Your Hands was done in the 70s: and so (most likely) wasn't a cut track from Bad Attitude. I have Lost Love on the Australian 1993 edition of Hits Out of Hell (and had that of been on Midnight at the Lost and Found: they could have had a hugehit and turned that album around IMO. Such a fine song). Still haven't Unsaid or Decadent Wish: or some others like Thrashin' or Hearts on Fire: but Time for Heroes is a wicked song I've been playing a bit lately. Don't know why I like it.. something about it...

According to the production credits on the Bat Out of Hell single Jim Steinman played Percussion (lol Susan was right?). But yeah... does anyone know the dates for all these b-sides? for certain? I can determine the times they were recorded (because he has a certain voice which relates to the sound of his records: and it's a different voice each time) but need clarification
rockfenris2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2005, 13:55   #2
Diane
Super Moderator

Hope this of some help Ryan:

Come Together - Recorded live for ABC's Nightline programme along with Let It Be, as part of a short documentary on Meat at the time of the release of WTTN, so would be around 1995/6.

Oh, What A Beautiful Morning - Produced by Ron Nevison so presumably recorded during the WTTN sessions.

Stand By Me - Meat was in England in 1974 to play Eddie in The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The cast also recorded the soundtrack to the movie while they were there and Meat was hauled back into the studio to lay down 2 tracks Stand By Me (Ben E. King) and Clap Your Hands And Stamp Your Feet (Richard Hartley & Brian Thompson - musical director/arranger & designer from RHPS). The 2 tracks were pressed onto 7" vinyl, ODE ODS 66304 but not released until 1984 as b-sides on the Nowhere Fast 12" single. Only Clap Your Hands featured on the b-side of the 7" single. Some copies of the original ODE single have "escaped" but, along with the Popcorn Blizzard single Hello/Once Upon A Time, are probably the most elusive (and most expensive!) to track down.

RPM - credited as 1986 on the Rock 'n' Roll Mercenaries single so I assume a "leftover" from the BBIS album.

Thrashin' only plays during the credits for the movie of the same title and as far as I know a soundtrack was never released. I have never heard a full version of the song anywhere.

Hearts On Fire is from the movie Car Trouble and can be found on the movie soundtrack. This was recorded around the time of Bad Attitude and is very much in that mould. According to the newsletters of Meat's fan club at the time it had been intended to release Hearts On Fire as a single but the idea was shelved.

It's a pity to me that Unsaid and Decadent Wish didn't make it onto CHSIB. Both are strong songs in my opinion.

I agree that Lost Love is a really good song and in my opinion would have been a better choice than other songs which were included on MATL&F. I'm not so convinced that it could have been a huge hit single though.

I think the "something about" A Time For Heroes is the fact it is such an uplifting song and absolutely ideal for the purpose it was intended. I like this one a lot.

Meat must have recorded loads of other songs over the years that have never been released anywhere. He's mentioned some titles in interviews. Can't help wondering if one day these may show up somewhere.

Diane
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2005, 16:03   #3
rockfenris2005
Mega Loafer

Thanks Diane. I got some help from some other message-boards too.

Quote:
Hope this of some help Ryan:

Come Together - Recorded live for ABC's Nightline programme along with Let It Be, as part of a short documentary on Meat at the time of the release of WTTN, so would be around 1995/6.
Is there two versions of this song? The one I have sounds like it was recorded in a studio in the very early 80s. The one from '96 would have the older Meat Loaf voice (like the one I have of Let it Be) whereas the C.T. recording I have indicates a lot younger Meat. I remember also reading that he recorded (both) these songs in 1980 after the death of John Lennon

Quote:
Oh, What A Beautiful Morning - Produced by Ron Nevison so presumably recorded during the WTTN sessions.
Wonder if that was an outtake from WTTN? It would have been nice to have had that on there. Probably on Side B

Quote:
Stand By Me - Meat was in England in 1974 to play Eddie in The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The cast also recorded the soundtrack to the movie while they were there and Meat was hauled back into the studio to lay down 2 tracks Stand By Me (Ben E. King) and Clap Your Hands And Stamp Your Feet (Richard Hartley & Brian Thompson - musical director/arranger & designer from RHPS). The 2 tracks were pressed onto 7" vinyl, ODE ODS 66304 but not released until 1984 as b-sides on the Nowhere Fast 12" single. Only Clap Your Hands featured on the b-side of the 7" single. Some copies of the original ODE single have "escaped" but, along with the Popcorn Blizzard single Hello/Once Upon A Time, are probably the most elusive (and most expensive!) to track down.
I've heard about this one. But thanks for clarifying all that

Quote:
RPM - credited as 1986 on the Rock 'n' Roll Mercenaries single so I assume a "leftover" from the BBIS album.

Thrashin' only plays during the credits for the movie of the same title and as far as I know a soundtrack was never released. I have never heard a full version of the song anywhere.

Hearts On Fire is from the movie Car Trouble and can be found on the movie soundtrack. This was recorded around the time of Bad Attitude and is very much in that mould. According to the newsletters of Meat's fan club at the time it had been intended to release Hearts On Fire as a single but the idea was shelved.
Sounds like a fair bit of stuff was recorded for B.A. and not used? Take a Number and something else, I'm sure of it.

Quote:
It's a pity to me that Unsaid and Decadent Wish didn't make it onto CHSIB. Both are strong songs in my opinion.
I really liked what I heard of Decadent Wish. When FUNHOUSE was first announced (seems aeons ago) D.W. was on the reported tracklist with six other songs at the time. The rest had yet to be written. Also, when I did an internet search once (before the release of CHSIB) it was given as the temporary title of MEAT LOAF - JOURNEY. Did you know about that one? Because I've never been able to find that reference since (or on any other sites): also: the duet between Meat Loaf and Christine Aguilera: and a cover of 'I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight'

Yeah, I heard some weird stuff before CHSIB's release

Quote:
I agree that Lost Love is a really good song and in my opinion would have been a better choice than other songs which were included on MATL&F. I'm not so convinced that it could have been a huge hit single though.
I've made a copy of the album and inserted Lost Love between Promised Land and You Never can be too Sure About the Girl. I've grown very accustomed to this version and never play the original. Pity there weren't anniversary releases for the non-Bat albums: because, like Bat, I'm sure there's a truckload of special features there

Quote:
I think the "something about" A Time For Heroes is the fact it is such an uplifting song and absolutely ideal for the purpose it was intended. I like this one a lot.
I think you've nailed that one

Quote:
Meat must have recorded loads of other songs over the years that have never been released anywhere. He's mentioned some titles in interviews. Can't help wondering if one day these may show up somewhere.
The only ones I've heard is a weird song title (can't remember it) of a song Jim Steinman was supposed to write for WTTN; also a title song for WTTN that was meant to take place before Where the Rubber; as well as Shadowlands on CHSIB. And many many many covers

Also, Gregg Fulkerson composed a song for Bat Out of Hell II (Date With Destiny) when Steinman was taking his time on the album. It never got recorded because Jim wanted the album to be his content. When I told Fireball about this song, he had never heard of it. Also: he had completely forgotten RPM (even though his writing credit appears on the song)

Last edited by rockfenris2005; 20 Sep 2005 at 16:08.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 20:28   #4
Diane
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfenris2005
Is there two versions of this song? The one I have sounds like it was recorded in a studio in the very early 80s. The one from '96 would have the older Meat Loaf voice (like the one I have of Let it Be) whereas the C.T. recording I have indicates a lot younger Meat. I remember also reading that he recorded (both) these songs in 1980 after the death of John Lennon
I've only ever heard the '96 versions Ryan.

I don't know that Oh, What A Beautiful Morning would have really fit on WTTN. Meat has stated his interest in playing the part of Jud in Oklahoma and after hearing his version of OWABM I think he would do very well in that kind of musical.

Quote:
Sounds like a fair bit of stuff was recorded for B.A. and not used? Take a Number and something else, I'm sure of it.
Meat has talked about others in interviews. Shimmy In The Footlights springs to mind and a song he wrote about John Belushi, Jimi Hendrix & Janis Joplin called Angel Road:

"Eyes been open, but the books been closed
Suns gone down but the blaze goes on
You give up the ghost and the earth takes the bones
But we don't travel alone
We travel down Angel Road."

Would have loved to have heard that one!

Quote:
I really liked what I heard of Decadent Wish. When FUNHOUSE was first announced (seems aeons ago) D.W. was on the reported tracklist with six other songs at the time. The rest had yet to be written. Also, when I did an internet search once (before the release of CHSIB) it was given as the temporary title of MEAT LOAF - JOURNEY. Did you know about that one? Because I've never been able to find that reference since (or on any other sites): also: the duet between Meat Loaf and Christine Aguilera: and a cover of 'I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight'

Yeah, I heard some weird stuff before CHSIB's release
I didn't know about the Journey title. There is an acetate from when the album was still being called Testify and that has both Unsaid and Decadent Wish on it. Songs missing from this version are Couldn't Have Said It Better, Forever Young, Mercury Blues and Because Of You.

I don't remember hearing about I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight. Would have been interesting I think as would a duet with Christine Aguilera.

[QUOTE=rockfenris2005]The only ones I've heard is a weird song title (can't remember it) of a song Jim Steinman was supposed to write for WTTN; also a title song for WTTN that was meant to take place before Where the Rubber; as well as Shadowlands on CHSIB. And many many many covers[QUOTE]
Shadowlands is a real country song ... it would have been interesting to hear what Meat would have done with it.

Quote:
Also, Gregg Fulkerson composed a song for Bat Out of Hell II (Date With Destiny) when Steinman was taking his time on the album. It never got recorded because Jim wanted the album to be his content. When I told Fireball about this song, he had never heard of it. Also: he had completely forgotten RPM (even though his writing credit appears on the song)
I would love to hear Meat sing Date With Destiny. Ever since I first heard it I thought it would suit Meat's voice perfectly.

Diane
Old 20 Sep 2005, 21:22   #5
amethyst
I know that i'll be bad for good.

I downloaded a version of American Trilogy by Meat Loaf, unfortunately it's not complete ~ i cant remember where i got it from ~ but it brings shivers down my spine every time i hear it.

ames xx
amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2005, 21:25   #6
Ankie
Office manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane
There is an acetate from when the album was still being called Testify and that has both Unsaid and Decadent Wish on it. Songs missing from this version are Couldn't Have Said It Better, Forever Young, Mercury Blues and Because Of You.
That way it sounds like quite a different album!! Really hard to imagine it that way in fact.... But that is why it is an acetate
Ankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2005, 06:31   #7
rockfenris2005
Mega Loafer

American Trilogy Holy moly!!
Old 21 Sep 2005, 21:31   #8
Kev
Just Kev

I have the full version of thrashing! I need to hear more stuff though.

Check the Ipod topic for list :P
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2005, 22:16   #9
ChloeLee88
Super Loafer

American trilogy??? Thrashing?? huh? what are these???
Chloe
ChloeLee88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2005, 23:23   #10
Diane
Super Moderator

Meat performed American Trilogy on a televised Elvis tribute show in 1987 and it was awesome! As the title suggests it's made up of 3 songs: Dixie, Battle Hymn Of The Republic and All My Trials.

Thrashin' is the title song from the 1986 movie of the same name .... about skateboard gangs.

Diane
Old 26 Sep 2005, 23:02   #11
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Well, here is a list!
But we spoke about them in the last years...

Hello / Once Upon a Time - 1967
More Than You Deserve (musical version) - 1974 (I don't know where, I have it on a 5 CD love songs hits)
Clap Your Hands / Stand By Me - 1975 (Nowhere Fast, 1984)
Keeper Keep Us - 1977 (Intergalactic Touring Band - one of the best Meat Loaf song ever)
Presence Of The Lord - 1981 (More Than You Deserve - so much better than the Eric Clapton version)
Lost Love - 1983 (Midnight At The Lost And Found single)
Midnight At The Lost And Found (remix) - 1983 (Midnight At The Lost And Found single)
Nowhere Fast - 1984 (Nowhere Fast)
Modern Girl (extended version) - 1984 (Modern Girl - so much better than the original)
Piece Of The Action (extended version) - 1984 (Piece Of The Action)
Take A Number - 1984 (Modern Girl)
RPM - 1986 (Rock 'n' Roll Mercenaries)
Hearts On Fire - 1986 (Hearts On Fire Soundtrack)
Time For A Heroes - 1987 (official song of Paralympic Games)
Somebody Loves Me - 1994 (Tribute of Gershwin)
Oh What A Beautiful Morning - 1995 (Not A Dry Eye In The House)
Come Together - 1995 (Not A Dry Eye In The House)
Let It Be - 1995 (Not A Dry Eye In The House)
Come Back To Sorrento - 1997 (Pavarotti & Friends - what a fantastic duett)
Tonight Is Right For Love - 1998 (Chef Aid: The Southpak Album)
Decadent Wish - 2003 (Did I Say That)
Unsaid - 2003 (Couldn't Have Said It Better single)

Ted Nugent: Free For All (1975) - Together / Hammerdown / Writting On The Wall / I Love You So I Told You A Lie / Street Rats

Unrealesed songs (1986) - Getting Away With Murder / Blind Before I Stop / Rock 'n' Roll Mercenaries (extended version)
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2005, 17:58   #12
Nick
Super Loafer

trashin.. wasn't that suppost to go on midnight at the lost and found, and didn't for some reason. It is a good some i like it.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2005, 21:29   #13
ChloeLee88
Super Loafer

ok so where do you all get these songs from???
Chloe
ChloeLee88 is offline   Reply With Quote